Mid layer alternatives to Swanni and Bison

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Ive had both the above makes in a midlayer form, the standard Swanni and i still have the Bison guide shirt. The Bison easily out shines the Swanni in every way, but i was wondering what else is out there. Im thinking of moving my Bison on and am after something that is in a similar vain. Ive got about £90 to spend... what are the alternatives ?

Paul

bearbait

Buffalo Special 6 Shirt works for me as a outer over a merino base layer for (UK) cold autumn and winter active use, and as a mid layer for static or colder use. Stands abuse and still smiles! I'm now on my second one in some 25 years so they last well. However it won't stand sparks from your fire like natural materials will.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Buffalo Special 6 Shirt works for me as a outer over a merino base layer for (UK) cold autumn and winter active use, and as a mid layer for static or colder use. Stands abuse and still smiles! I'm now on my second one in some 25 years so they last well. However it won't stand sparks from your fire like natural materials will.

Have a few of those type, but was thinking more of wool or wool based jumpers or something very similar to the guide shirt.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
If the Bison is working for you why move it on?

Good point, but its because since hand washing it the collar has shrunk and so I can't now fully fasten it up, and it would be even better with a half zip and bigger buttons.

Last edited:

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I've just started using a moleskin shirt badged as "Bronte" £20 off Keswik market, nice and warm, feels like it should last years.

Dave

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Good point, but its because since hand washing it the collar has shrunk and so I can't now fully fasten it up, and it would be even better with a half zip and bigger buttons.

Mine shrunk a little too, despite hand washing in very lukewarm water, it ended up being very tight across the shoulders. However after a couple of weeks it has stretched out again. Maybe you could try putting the collar under tension by buttoning it around a stuff sack or similar for a day or two.

I was also going to suggest Buffalo as an alternative, if you prefer the idea of natural materials I see that Bison are now producing a waxed cotton cagoule which may make a nice mid layer.

:)

Last edited:

GlenM

Forager
Jan 11, 2006
Cornwall
The lads at Green craft do a very nice wool shirt called The Cowdry shirt , I cant remember the cost but you could contact Neil or Leon for a price.

Glen

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I love Pendleton wool shirts. Mine go through the washing machine and everything. Soft, warm and comfortable.

I wear a sheepskin jerkin over the top and skip the coat unless its chucking it down

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE