Micro Hydro Walk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
How many members have heard of Micro Hydro?. I certainly hadn’t until a few days ago.

A friend invited me along to do a preliminary recce of a small river/stream to see if it was suitable for Micro Hydro. My blank look led him to explain it to me.
Apparently it involves using swift streams and steep gradients to generate hydro-electric power for small consumers.
In this case the idea was to use streams coming off the central mountain range to supply power for Orang Asli (aboriginal) communities in the belief that it was cheaper than grid power.
It sounds good but I’m not sure how much this paternalistic government is prepared to bring in aboriginals as partners rather than dependant stakeholders whom they can control.

Anyway, I just wanted to a nice day out and a new location to explore so I tagged along.

We drove to a rather pretty recreational forest park and then walked till the park trails ended then carried on upstream along bush trails.

DSCN1422.jpg

It was pleasant and cool walking as the cool water and cooler hill air descended down the valley.
DSCN1411.jpg

After awhile the banks disappeared into steep wooded slopes up to 70 degrees or more and we had to ascend a trail up the sides of the gorge through which the stream passed.

We noticed that the boar had been busy looking for roots and tubers. Lots of pig sign.
DSCN1376.jpg

There were monkeys and gibbons around as well.
The amount of mammals explained the number of leeches that were ambushing us and hurling themselves off leaves and branches in the hope of getting at us.
Everyone was blooded a few times. I had worn only one pair of socks and leather walking boots, instead of jungle boots, to better cushion a cut toe, so I ended up with couple in the boots and a few danglies from the ankles.

A few got onto Jan’s hand and we stopped at an incomplete aboriginal hut for a leech removal break.

DSCN1383.jpg

DSCN1399.jpg

DSCN1386.jpg

You can see why the Orang Asli, like almost all jungle folk, prefer to sleep and live above the ground with its leeches and other nuisances.
It’s almost impossible to be neutral about them. While I can ignore them and carry them around till we stop and take my time removing them if needed, I don’t like them one bit not least because of the itching that follows the next day.
I don’t saw them in half usually like some people do. Just a flick if climbing or a scrape if they are already in blood sucking mode.

For those who a fascinated by leeches here is an earlier short video of them moving in on their prey (me).

A tributary stream joined the river at the hut so I did a short side recce though some tall bamboo.
Bamboo forests are often quite noisy due to the wind rubbing the stems against each other and loud cracks when an over stressed stem breaks.
DSCN1390.jpg

I rejoined the others on a sand bar where they had stopped. A rock bar is probably more accurate
DSCN1392.jpg

After the break, Patrick and I stayed on the sand bar while the rest continued ahead.
This was a good opportunity to practice fire making and have the obligatory survival cup of tea (which actually was hot chocolate).

DSCN1396.jpg

The others came back about 2 hours later and reported that the stream just kept on gradually rising but no waterfalls.
They found another hut in the forest but no one at home.
IMG_6440.jpg

They had a rest and we talked over the findings
IMG_6442.jpg

After a swim in the stream we turned and headed back. Our next trip will probably be an overnighter and maybe a hike across the watershed to another a drainage.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice thread and piccies BOD and an interesting topic, it`s good that authorities are finally looking towards alternative energies and I hope this project gets off the ground.

Great vid of the leech by the way, I had no idea they could move like that, I always thought they were like our worms.

Rich

BOD

Was that leech video normal speed? Pretty scary how fast they move!

Geoff

Video on normal speed. Leech in fast attack mode. Larger leeches tend to move faster.:puppy_dog

Passive sonar, barometric sensors, infra red homing and even, I am told, scent detectors.

I console myself afterwards that the blood thinners and anti-coagulants that remain are good for my arteries

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
nice thread. great pictures. keep them coming. very informative :)
i had never heard the term "micro hydro" before. from the look of your pics, the river you were on gets seasonal flooding. i wonder how they deal with that? i hope they don't just dam the river. i think i will have to do a bit o research on this. generating your own power DIY style is always an interesting challenge.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I tried the jungle this year - and can assure everyone that I will not be adding to any congestion on jungle trails in future!
Although the jungle is a beautiful environment and a bushcrafters heaven I found the heat and humidity too much and I HATE LEECHES!
I am not squeemish normally but those blood sucking b*stards are worse than politicians!
Deserts and savannah for me in future!
I love the idea of Micro Hydro but a friend of mine who investigated it for his farm in Wales told me that the Environment Agency charges you for using the water (!) and that made it unecconomical!
If this is right then how £$%^&&*** stupid is government policy - insisting they are trying to get power from renewable sources then effectively stopping you getting it!
Fkwits the lot of them!:banghead: :cussing: :banghead: :cussing: :banghead:

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I came across quite a few micro hydro schemes when I was in Nepal a few years ago. The certainly worked and brought about huge positive changes for small remote communities in the country. They are a positive contribution to renewable energy and could be run by local communities rather than large organisations which seem to hog the windfarm market.:)

This Micro Hydro thing is interesting. Going to go off and research that...

You're a lucky bloke, BOD. I remember puttering about in the mountains in China, out of a hunting lodge. I forget the name of the place now, but there was a mountain stream right outside the place, with a big pool someone had gouged out.. ICY water. Must have been only just above freezing. The old boy that owned it (Who i had to tell i was Dutch... he hated the British, they killed his mates during the War apparently) used to take a swim in it every morning.. in the buff. :O

Brilliant old boy. Took us "hunting" with AK's and SVD/Dragunov.. or chinese knockoffs thereof. Only spoke Chinese so there was lots of gesticulating and laughing.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Great pics and video I remember waking up in a sleeping bag liner in Malaysia looking like I'd been buthchered after rubbing leeches off in the night. I am interested in off grid power although not in my current property, I bought a book on using water power for energy but my take on it was that a considerable drop in height was required to turn the turbines to generate power. I'm not at home to lay my hands on it to post title author etc. but it was interesting

Philbert

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2004
Northern Ireland
I may sound a bit silly but I haven't come across any leaches. Not any attached to me anyhow, but how exactly do you remove a leach?

Crazy little buggers by the looks of it.:eek:

The ones I had were gone by the time I discovered the blood stain in the first place and some I "shot" away...

Like they were still moving and my thumb/indexfinger were playing with pebbles.

One I pulled off quickly and that was about it. Nothing really looking at the time I spend in it's habitat.

Some removed them with there cigarette butt cos that is what the books say. Dunno though..

Fascinating little buggers, not too keen on them but hate nor love them...sorry too zen :)

Grtz Johan

S: afaik they do not transmit diseases do they? Like ticks, mozzies... weird....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE