Meths gel?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RM27

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 17, 2010
UK
I have seen several videos on youtube of people using some sort of flamable gel when starting a hobo type stove but im unsure as to what it is.
So i was thinking is there a way to add meths to another substance to make it into a gel for this purpose or does anyone know of a suitable (cheap) alternative to this ?

Last edited:
S

SteveD

Try a hand sanitising gel from a local chemists - some contain Isopropyl Alcohol.

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
You could try some BBQ lighting gel, but it's best to leave that for lighting it only and then get whatever main fuel you're using on the stove.

I once tried to see if I could use some BBQ gel as a sort of alcohol gel fuel, like you get in those cans, and decanted some into an old baked bean can. It burns easily enough but doesn't really give off masses of heat and since it was, I think, petroleum based rather than alcohol based I got crazy amounts of soot (and god knows what else) on the bottom of my messtin. Grand for lighting but not for use as a main fuel if you can help it I think.

birdbrain57

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2010
sunderland
Makro do chafergel for fondues and table grills. It comes in a little tin you put under the fondue and it burns for 90 mins.They come in packs of three and are really cheap.I am going to try one in my ikea drainer stove when the weather gts a bit better.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
what birdbrain 57 said, you can also but it in big paint type tins, id say about 4 L worth of gel costs £12 a tin..... would work great to get a hobo going, and was thinking of doing this very thing, if i get the chance i will borrow some from work and tell you how i get on.........

chris...........................................

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE