West Yorkshire
I've got a couple of these
trangia_bottle.jpg

I'd recommend them!

Carbuncle

Forager
Jan 12, 2009
Merseyside
I've got one of the trangia bottles, and they're great at what they are, but do you really need 500ml handy?

I've got a couple of things like this - http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/vargo_methylated_spirit_fuel_bottle.html - or similar, and it'll do an overnighter or more. Snow & Rock do little nalgene bottles for a quid odd, 250ml iirc, that are quite good, and the burner itself (trangia or tatonka) will do the job for a day hike.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
The metal MSR fuel bottles corrode with meths in them. I wrecked a brand new one by keeping meths it in, now it's impossible to do up / undo the screw top. The plastic Trangia meths bottles are the business and the pourer design is brilliant. Or of course the vintage Sigg meths bottles.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I'm sure I heard about those trangia bottles being quite easily undone then the button getting pressing in the pack.

Might be a load of BS as I don't have one though :p

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Trangia bottle with safety pourer, two sizes, half litre and one litre, designed for the job.

This sort of thing

eBay item

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
The bottles depicted by Bumpy are pretty much required equipment for youth groups doing DofE these days. The valve works against an internal spring - you have to unscrew the red cap, then depress it to pour the fuel out - this is a safety feature in that if you have been lax and ommitted to check that your stove is extinguished and set the bottle alight, it will self seal as you drop it! Hence it cannot leak in your pack unless the valve itself is not secured correctly or it is damaged.
Some groups get very up tight if you turn up with, what they see as, dangerous equipment and refuse to allow you to use it.
I know that not every reader will be accompanying youth groups but these bottles really are safer than many other types of container.

HTH

Ogri the trog

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I use either a proper Trangia bottle or much more often a Platypus "Little Nipper" with a pouring spout from the US, it works great and you you can squidge it inside a mug or something if your worried about punctures or just want to save space.

ErenewClick1.jpg

The red spout makes filling a stove a doddle, although I still use a proper cap for long term storage.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! I nicked the idea from backpackinglight in the US who incidentally sell the caps

I once left it full on a shelf for at least 8 months and there was no perceptable loss.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/platypus-lil-nipper-spout-caps.html

Incidentally if you are one of those who likes titanium for certain situations like me I can heartilly recomend the Evernew stuff from Japan. I have a mate in the US who pays me with it when I sent him obscure bits of webbing I got for pence over here.

http://www.evernewamerica.com/products/Ti_nonstick/ECA421425429.html

The 2.6 litre job cost me a 1940s RAF pouch that was £2 in a army stores! Great for doing porage for 5 in when I am feeling lazy.

ATB

Tom

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
I've always used the plastic bottle it came in and never had a problem.

However the little platypus bottle idea look sweet. Where is a good place to buy them in the UK?

Stu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE