meths burner success!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
I've been playing about these past few days trying to bodge together a good wind shield/support for my wee meths burner from a tin can. Tried several varieties from standard size cans, which were all pretty inefficent. So I tried one of thosewide flat ones that you get those sponge puddings in, and wahey success, boiled up a brew in no time and managed to cook up a tin of beans and sausage from the same fuel.

CCC37.jpg

CCC38.jpg

CCC41.jpg

CCC46.jpg

lovely job.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Hi Jonnie thats one professional looking piece of kit. Your meths stove looks to be burning in afterburner mode.
CCC37.jpg

Drilling all those holes must have taken patience my quick way in the field is to use a church key opener sold in most supermarkets
churchkey.jpg

here's my scruffy hobo version sponge pudding tin windshield pot support with a Tatonka meths burner
teacloseup.jpg

I keep the bottom in mine then at a push it can be used for a fire, fircone's work great, but when it's cold it forms a pre-heater pan with a squirt of meths around the stove. Not as shiny as yours though --- good job.
cheers Danny

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
cheers dan I like the look of yours alot, plenty of aeration going on there. It was pretty easy to drill, freehand with the 24v plug in drill did it in about 5 mins. they are the perfect size tins, will give your way a go. My meths burner was made by a mate on another forum who makes his own from cans of coke etc- this one was from one of the tiny diet coke cans. So all in all pretty cheap stove kit!

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Another bonus, which I'm amazed no one has mentioned

You get to eat a tinned steamed pudding.

Has anyone found a use for the king of tins ;- the one which is wrapped round the varied magnificent offerings of Fray Bentos?

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Has anyone found a use for the king of tins ;- the one which is wrapped round the varied magnificent offerings of Fray Bentos?

Danger Frisbee of Death , use gloves , and you NEED to catch it .

I never was a fan of frey bentos pies , too much soggy bollox going on . cracking use of a steamed pudding tin though ( which I am a fan of ) .

Cheers , Trev .

Last edited:

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
cheers guys. The fray bentos tin is a little bit flat to be of much use, perhaps if you stick it upside down on hot embers it would work like a frying pan or a hob for a frying pan.

Dormouse

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
UK
I suppose a Fray Bentos tin could be used as a fire-bowl. The tricky bit would be persuading some poor bugger to eat the horrible pie!

Andy80F

Jun 30, 2010
Poole, Dorset
Fray Bentos pies are one of my most favourite foods, a rare treat though, they store for ages (unopened) and are a great comfort food. However now they have been slandered in the forum I'm going to have to have one soon and thereafter do something inspired with the tin.

Thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE