Metal spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JL12 ML

Jun 30, 2011
N/A
I know its all about having a handmade wooden spoon.

I what to make myself a metal spoon.
Any tips?

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
I've forged a few, but as to tips it depends on what equipment you have, what size spoon and what preferences you have for material.

JL12 ML

Jun 30, 2011
N/A
im after a stainless steel one, normal size just a longer handle and can call/make it my own. equipment wise just a basic garage full of tools, nothing fancy.

320ccc

Jan 25, 2012
USA
having just gone through this myself my advice is buy one.

however if you absolutely have to do it...

pick up some thin gauge stainless steel (no thicker than 18 gauge for your first try).

cut the general shape of the spoon from the blank (i used a hacksaw).

carve a spoon-shaped indentation into a block of wood (i used a scrap of hard maple).

start beating the center of the spoon on an anvil, this will start it. don't wale away at it, tap it gently it will begin to form.
when you have the beginning of a bowl, transfer your work to the block of wood and finish it there (i have used ball pien and teardrop plastic auto body hammers for this step).

when you have the shape you want you will need to sand and sand and sand some more. then polish it up.

if you have to do too much pounding the metal will harden to the point where it will no longer form. a propane torch or the kitchen stove will be required to soften the steel (do not quench it at this time).

an alternative to the carved block is to make a stake (like a tinsmith would use) from a trailer hitch ball or a railroad spike and pound out the shape on it.

another alternative is to cut an oval into a piece of mdf, lay a piece wood-backed foam on top of the ss spoon blank and squeeze it with a 12-20 ton hydraulic press. voila! a spoon ready to be trimmed out.

have fun.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
This is one forged by a blacksmith friend
IMG_7376.jpg

But if you are not into forging then copper makes a good spoon and can be cold forged. It's one of the projects students at Freeman college Sheffield do, these pics show the process. The copper work hardens so ever so often when you feel it start to get hard you heat it up and quench it, that softens it again ready for cold forging some more.
IMG_1439.jpg
IMG_1436.jpg

320ccc

Jan 25, 2012
USA
copper is much easier to work and (i think) very attractive.

unplated copper doesn't mix with acidic foods at all well. something about copper toxicity.

so if you are planning to actually use the spoon you make think about what you are going to eat with it.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Read 'A Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovitch' by Solzhenitsyn. The prisoners in the Gulag cast their own spoons from aluminium power cable.

It would be easy from aluminium cans. Dig a shallow pit, light a fire, throw in dozons of cans, wait, let fire out , collect aluminium puddle from pit. Then cast a spoon from a plaster or sand mould. Casting we did a fair amount of at school, it is straight forward. You can even do it in a Gulag.

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Never worked stainless myself but the word is from buddies who have it can be a downright bitch to work up. Especially when cutting it but good luck with your project

@Robin Wood that forged spoon is awesome Bud

JL12 ML

Jun 30, 2011
N/A
Ok then. as i want a stainless one ill put the photos up in a few years :) at least it will keep me occupied on the rainy days.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE