Metal Machinist

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The hanger must have either been weakened or faulty. All it takes is a little knock from a fall, branch, rock etc and a weakness could be introduced. These hangers must make the companies a bit of money and so aren't made to last. Aluminium once cracked will fatigue along the crack quickly, aluminium fails catastrophically.

Crunching the gears under power gives a few kilos of force, plenty to break a weakened mech hanger. Before the days of replacement hangers as standard, I have snapped chromoly steel hangers. Biggest sinners for doing the damage are transporting the bike without the wheels in the back of a car or a low speed minor fall.
I'd recommend getting a replacement and a spare to carry. Sods law dictates that if you always carry a spare, it'll never snap again. :)

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Thanks guys
To answer some of the questions it's a road bike and never dropped it or hit anything though I can see how that would do it damage.
Once i get another hanger I will be checking for alignment and it's correctly seated, thanks for your input guys.

Sent from somewhere?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE