metal lathe info needed

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Hey all, need some information on this metal lathe. All i know is it is called Granville Senior, seems well used and came with a bunch of fittings for the carving part.

It belongs to my girlfriends father and we have been trying to get it in working order. everything runs perfectly fine, except for the three toothed vice that grips the wood on the left hand side. there are three teeth that wind in and they should all meet in the middle to grip, but they dont. instead one tooth is out by a couple of mills, the result is that what ever we put in it is not centralised so its very hard to get good results with it as the wood rotates off centre. We have tried slotting the teeth in different orders etc but cant seem to get them well alligned to get the axis right. is it supposed to be like this, or are we missing something? any information on this machine or advice would be great. and any ideas if it is worth anything?

Pictures show some wood on it which was just a wee bit of fun

cimg3059s.jpg

cimg3061.jpg

Thanks

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
That unit is called a "chuck" and no it shouldn't be like that at all. Sounds to me like the gubbins on the inside might need attention.

Ive never disassembled one myself but I'm sure it can be done. Though I suspect the gears on the inside might be err broken. ;)

does it close tight or is it loose?

you might be able to fix it but if not then I'd say its better to bin it as it will be no use to you like that.

I assume there is a way of detaching the chuck? If so it's just a case of cruising eBay to find a replacement.

I do like the lathe, looks nice and tidy. Great bit of kit too. :)

Give me a shout if you get really stuck.
Andy

Biker

Hey Hamish. My mate Paul uses a metal cutting lathe all the time and has warned me on several occasions not to undo the chuck too much else what happens is the jaws slip the tightening cogs inside and they're a right pain in the arm to get aligned again. But it can be done. So it sounds to me like that chucks been undone too far at some point in its life and the offending jaw has come adrift. As for rectifying the problem I'd have to ask Paul for sure, but I would guess you try and wind them out and then align them all equally and wind them back in once again and hope the teeth of the cogs engage as they should. If at first you don't succeed seems to be the way.

Sorry can't shed any light on the machine itself, but it looks a beauty!

Hope what little info I could offer helps some.

Dreadhead

chuck! thats the word! was scratching my head trying to remember it whilst writing the original post. Thanks for the comments guys it does tighten fully but one jaw is a few mills out so what you said makes sense Aaron. We have tried taking them all out and trying to get them alligned ourselves but it's just not happening. manys hours have been spent puzzling it. if it is just a case of getting another chuck, will probably try ebay as you said Andy, so not so bad as soon as i can find a reasonably priced one. Otherwise i think he wants to trade it for a wood lathe if possible

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Hey Hamish. My mate Paul uses a metal cutting lathe all the time and has warned me on several occasions not to undo the chuck too much else what happens is the jaws slip the tightening cogs inside and they're a right pain in the arm to get aligned again. But it can be done. So it sounds to me like that chucks been undone too far at some point in its life and the offending jaw has come adrift. As for rectifying the problem I'd have to ask Paul for sure, but I would guess you try and wind them out and then align them all equally and wind them back in once again and hope the teeth of the cogs engage as they should. If at first you don't succeed seems to be the way.

Sorry can't shed any light on the machine itself, but it looks a beauty!

Hope what little info I could offer helps some.

This makes much more sense. Doesn't sound too difficult either, if a bit of faff.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Some chucks have a number stamped on each jaw and a corresponding number either near the jaw position or within the jaw track.

To locate the jaws correctly, you'd have to undo the whole thing until all the jaws were free - so I'd recommend doing some other fiddling first as if the numbers are not there I'll point to my first word!

Are any two jaws meeting centrally or are they all over the place?

Good luck

Ogri the trog

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Hi Hamish
The chuck & the chuck jaws are usually numbered 1-3. Sounds like you have already had the jaws out of the chuck ? So If you remove all 3 jaws clean any dirt from them, also clean the spiral that you will see inside the chuck itself the best you can. WD40 would be the best. Don't dismantle the chuck itself ! Now if you look into the grooves where the jaws slide and turn the chuck key slowly clockwise you will see the start of the spiral appearing (slot 1) turn it back a bit and slide the jaw in, turn it clockwise again until the start of the spiral appears in the next slot,(this should of gripped the first jaw) turn it back a bit and insert the second jaw (this should of gripped the second jaw) now do the same for 3rd jaw. Now continue to turn your chuck key clockwise until all 3 jaws meet. If they are not numbered try this anyway. It sounds to me that you have missed a jaw first time round with the spiral.
Don't bin the chuck a new one would cost £200 +, and you would need to know what the thread is on the spindle to get a new one.

Cracking lathe though ! wish it was mine. I assume you know it is meant for metal turning not wood ? But it will work to a certain extent.

Hope It works.

Trencakey

Nomad
Dec 25, 2012
Cornwall
Unwind the chuck until the jaws drop out.The jaws should be numbered 1 - 3,in the slots that the jaws sit you'll see a scroll gear that go's around when you turn the chuck key.This gear meshes with the jaw gears (teeth).Take jaw number 1 and turn the chuck key anti clockwise until you see the obvious end of the scroll gear pass the slot backwards.Stop turning and insert jaw number 1 now in the next clockwise slot insert number 2 and make sure it engages and moves inward when you turn the chuck key and now the same for number 3.Thats how you set them up.It's possible that you have a jaw from another set or that you have the lead tooth broken off one of the jaws.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
If needs be, you can machine the chuck itself with a boring bar but that's quite drastic

If buying a replacement chuck, buy a 4-jaw, a dial gauge and learn how to use it. A worn 4-jaw is still capable of accuracy whereas a 3-jaw isn't

You might be able to lock the spindle and unscrew the chuck by using chuck key as a lever but be careful

Dreadhead

wow thanks for all the great advice. The chuck is numbered and we lined up each number, but did not know to slot in 1 then turn etc will try that tomorrow with optimism. we also have a 4-jaw but its all stuck with rust so will need some work done to get it functioning. We know it is a metal lathe but don't have any metal to try on it so put the wood block in and were using wood chisels to rough out for fun. It seems a great machine and came with loads of different cutting tools so will be fun to get it working properly and see what it can do

yep try reinseting the jaws as posted earier

you may have a set of external jaws that are used to hold bigger stuff as swapping in and out of jaws is a commom thing to do i have a simier lathe not marked and a mate another marked as a myford

its a Gap bed lathe if you have a faceplate you can turn 9" dia just in front of the plate as the bed way dosnt come all the way to the head stock

the series of cogs on the end is to set the speed for the lead screw you fit different sizes to give different thread pitches when threading you should have a box with a pile of change wheels
teh top bit should rock back and forth of the main shaft cog to change the direction of the lead screw

ATB

Duncan

Last edited:

Dreadhead

yep try reinseting the jaws as posted earier

you may have a set of external jaws that are used to hold bigger stuff as swapping in and out of jaws is a commom thing to do i have a simier lathe not marked and a mate another marked as a myford

its a Gap bed lathe if you have a faceplate you can turn 9" dia just in front of the plate as the bed way dosnt come all the way to the head stock

the series of cogs on the end is to set the speed for the lead screw you fit different sizes to give different thread pitches when threading you should have a box with a pile of change wheels
teh top bit should rock back and forth of the main shaft cog to change the direction of the lead screw

ATB

Duncan

thanks Duncan that's great advice, did wonder why we couldnt get those wheels on the side to work properly. i dont know if there are any other wheels to change over will have a look.

And tell me about it Orric, i don't do machines at the best of times!

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Hi all

Dragging up an old thread now!!

I swapped my Record wood turning lathe for this Granville, It's a cracking machine too, I haven't got it set up yet though as my garage is still full of stuff out of my shed after it collapsed! :eek:

I've reset the jaws after giving the chuck a clean and lube, the chuck has absolutely no wear at all!!
It's a coincidence that I bought some change wheels for my other lathe (Faircut) but they wouldn't fit! They fit the Granville nicely though!!!

I've actually plugged it in and it runs sooooo smoothly I couldn't believe it!, My old Faircut rattles like the Bejaysus with the dog the takes the machine out of drive so the backgear can be used! (With changewheels!!) The Granville is silent by comparison!!

Would like to just say a big thanks to Dredhead for a smashing trade!!

Cheers, John :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE