Metal Detecting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
After my not so long ago departure from the forum and siding over to the airgun BBS side, I have now returned for a question regarding metal detecting laws.

Iv read so much on the internet about where not to use your metal detector, but where can you use it?

Im thinking seeing as basically every part of land in England is owned, theres very little places but the beach to metal detect.

What about common land?

What are the penalties for being caught with a metal detector without permission?

Thanks,

Sharp.

Scrumpy

Forager
Mar 18, 2008
Silverstone
www.predatorsport.co.uk
As far as I know it's not the detecting that is the problem it is the digging holes that does it, criminal damage of sorts. When ever I ask for permission I always say I'll split 50/50 anything of a value over £50, usually does the trick!
Also another great angle is to approach farmers and offer a finding service, they are always loosing bits off tractors and other tools in mud or grass, offer to find them for free, once you get chatting its a lot easier to get permission.

moonvisage

Jun 23, 2008
birmingham
one way,is to write to a farmer/landowner,asking if you can meet him to discuss metal detecting on his land.that way,by the time you actually meet him,he has had a longer period of time to think about the situation,and re-read your letter.another way,is to find out what pub etc he frequents,and get to know him there,before asking him.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE