Mess tins are increadibly sharp. How to round off? [pic]

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
My new mess tins come this morning, pulled them out of the box and cut myself within a second of touching them. The edges have been cut so finely and straight that is really really sharp. What can i use to take the 'edge' off? Im starting to think these are a bit pants!!! These are the Gelert ones.

100_1664.jpg

Jan 15, 2012
essex
There good for what they cost, had my ones since mid 80s, thats all i have ever used. Just getting back in to camping ect after a 11 year brake, dont think i will change what i use anytime soon.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A file on a SAK should take off the nasty bits, w&d would be easier though.

No problem using them on gas, petrol, meths or open fire

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
ah excellent! so for a fiver then you cant go wrong really if you can use them to cook AND eat out of, excellent. forget the small saucepans then ill only need a small fryingpan!!!

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Can these go on top of a gas stove to cook in? e.g warm soup/tinned food up?

Shouldn't be an issue ~ but be aware of any instability ;)

My new mess tins come this morning, pulled them out of the box and cut myself within a second of touching them. <<<>>> These are the Gelert ones.

If you haven't done so already, drop an email to the retailer and also to Gelert. Let them know that you have a quality control issue that they need to look into ~ there shouldn't be any sharp edges on the lip of mess tins.

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Thats actually not a bad shout Decorum, I bought them from a 3rd party seller on Amazon, so do i tell them, or go straight to Gelert? Im assuming Gelert as they are the ones who manufacture them.

Just mailed them now, will await the reply and let you know what they say.

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I bought them from a 3rd party seller on Amazon, so do i tell them, or go straight to Gelert? Im assuming Gelert as they are the ones who manufacture them.

Both ~ but it's essential to conact the retailer if you find something amiss you find something amiss with a product. Your 'contract' is with the retailer not Gelert, but a good manufacturer/company will want to know about any potential issue with their product(s).

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
ive sent them for a W&D rubdown with the in-law, if that doesnt work then ill contact the seller too.

If i was using a fork/spoon in and out of the tin, I wouldnt have any hands left by the time i finished what I was eating.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Leave them in the woods for a long while like this one Hugo and myself found last week when we were out on a bimble

DSCN2038.jpg

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
ah excellent! so for a fiver then you cant go wrong really if you can use them to cook AND eat out of, excellent. forget the small saucepans then ill only need a small fryingpan!!!

They are frying pans. Fry your bacon in it over a low heat, when done, pour in a tin of tomatoes and bring to a slow simmer, then crack an eg in the middle and simmer until the egg is cooked. Voila, bacon, egg and tomatoes in one pan. :)

Done it loads of times, takes a bit of practice to get the egg cooked right, but i've got it down now and it works well - particularly over a meths stove.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE