Mesolithic Huts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BMFHL

Feb 9, 2007
Dublin
Hi all,

I was recently comissioned to design and build a film set for a documentary about Mesolithic Ireland. Rather than building chicken wire huts and thatching them with plastic grass,as you might expect from them oul' hollywood types, we went for the real deal, and built some small but perfectly formed shelters from hazel and esturine reeds.Took a few days, since it was my first foray into thatching, and we had to cut all the hazel and drag it through a forest and up a hill. They're pretty comfortable, and can sleep about three each, with a small fire. I used charcoal in the fire for cleanliness and to keep the smoke down, but we did leave a small gap under the 'eaves' for smoke to escape, and a small fire of dry wood is pretty tolerable. They're sited about 300m from an original mesolithic site, on the banks of the mighty Shannon river.

I guess the ladder was the only real non bushcrafty element in our construction. The rest was done with an axe, a folding saw, and two pocket knives. We also cheated and used jute string rather than bark for most of the knots, but did use yucca (which happened to be growing in a garden locally) for many of the visible ones. Not Irish Mesolithic I know, but looks like bark lashings on camera.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25jntbLJ-AA

BMFHL

Feb 9, 2007
Dublin
Late next year Loz. Only starting, they still have a lot of overseas filming to do, in France and Africa.

Nov 12, 2007
Canada
BMFHL, nice stuff that, well done. Here in Canada we've made something very similar, but instead of thatch, we had used bark from downed trees in the forest.
And yes when is the program airing?
Cheers
Alex

BMFHL

Feb 9, 2007
Dublin
Show will be broadcast in Ireland.

As for sparks, that's why I used charcoal rather than wood, but good dry small wood like willow seems to burn fine with little sparks. thing is, because the huts are made from thatch, a small, well tended fire will heat up the air inside and it stays cosy for a long time, and the the hearth is lined with rocks too, so it acts like a very small storage heater. No real need for a blazing inferno all night long.

On a very cold night, one could build a big fire outside, heat up some fairly hefty stones, and bring them inside at bedtime, like a more substantial storage heater.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I spent a night in a thatched hut I helped make as part of my history lessons as a child in Somerset. I was at a boarding school at the time, and the frame was a simple uprights and leanto type roof. The florr was cut into the turf and the turf was stacked aside for use as part of the roof. Wattle and daub walls where done on one side and woven straw on the other, the roof was thatched for one half and turfed on the other. It was a learning and experience thing showing different ways of constructing the hut. We didn't have a fire, but four of us slept in it one night, another four for the next night and it was a fantastic nights sleep. In fact, there is a picture somewhere in the family of me and a friend dressed in hessian sacks on a school open day pretending to be all ancient!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Nice but if there is a fire in their what keeps it from burning down when sparke fly up ??

One thing I remember from visiting a Celtic site in west Wales,
was the absence of any form of chimney. When I asked the same question the reply I got was so ingenious, I near fell to the floor. Without a chimney, the air up in the top of the thatch is depleted of oxygen, meaning that sparks cannot burn anything as there simply isn't the spare O2 to support further combustion. Furthermore the lack of O2 keeps the bugs down in the thatch itself, meaning that the roof covering actually lasts longer. Most of the time you are inside the hut/roundhouse etc you'd be sitting or laying down anyway, so the occupants would not suffer any effects of reduced oxygen themselves.

Ingenious

Ogri the trog

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
I spent a night in a thatched hut I helped make as part of my history lessons as a child in Somerset.
All I got to do was the Tudours, and only the 'big picture' rather the the day to day stuff I'd of found more interesting

I was at a boarding school at the time,
So was I, mind you mine was a state school

Back on subject, I like it, I might have to replace my shed with something like.....if I can get my SOP the agree :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I thought the reason you don't need a chimney in a roundhouse/thatched roof abode such as this was because the thatch will allow the smoke to pass through. Regardless, I have had many fires and not suffered the masses of sparks flying up, normally because they are relatively small fires, but the type of wood can have a serious effect on this. Sweet chestnut, for example, spits out red hot sparks all over the place.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I thought the reason you don't need a chimney in a roundhouse/thatched roof abode such as this was because the thatch will allow the smoke to pass through.

Thats it Spam,
In slowing down to pass through the thatch, the localised area at the top of the inside of the roof, suffers oxygen depletion leading to........... etc etc etc

I don't know if this was by trial or design, maybe the roundhouses with chimneys all burnt down; who knows?

Ogri the trog

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Now that's a work :D They look like they could be really comfortable too.
Is there a chance the programme may be shown in the UK?

Several years ago I went to an Archaeological conference at Glasgow University which discussed roundhouses. One of the speakers was Dr Chris Lynn of the Deer Park Farms centre in Northern Ireland, and he had been building basket woven re-constructions. It sounded fascinating then, and is still a subject that generates a great deal of continuing interest.
I'll see if I can find some links.

cheers,
Toddy

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I was surprised at the strength of the frame, showing that it can support the weight of a man thatching the roof and also performing monkey stunts inside! I can't see there being any problems with structural integrity, but I'm not too sure about that top piece of thatching due to it being very flat, although I am probably wrong. I'd be interested to see how that copes with the infamous irish rain!

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com

Several years ago I went to an Archaeological conference at Glasgow University which discussed roundhouses. One of the speakers was Dr Chris Lynn of the Deer Park Farms centre in Northern Ireland, and he had been building basket woven re-constructions. It sounded fascinating then, and is still a subject that generates a great deal of continuing interest.

cheers,
Toddy

'Long Way Down' tv show on sunday, had Obi Wan and his young Padwan staying in a village using this hut construction method, semi nomadics. Setting up camp for boys circumcision.:tapedshut

Nick

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham

cheers,
Toddy

Hmmmm, do you think we may have found a thatcher for the crannog Toddy?
Excellent work there.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE