Merino Wool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Okay, I hate to admit it, but I broke down and bought a zip-neck merino wool shirt.

To be honest, I'm a tad disappointed, but also a tad impressed. On one hand, it's not as soft as I expected it to be. I was thinking it would be as soft as my Polartec or my Lifa.

On the other hand, it IS still quite soft, and without a doubt, a helluva lot softer than "real wool". I plan on wearing it today, when I go to campus for Psychology. So only time will tell.....

Adam

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I have a Swanndri merino wool base layer and I was a little dissapointed for the same reasons, but with time it has proven its worth. On the other hand I paid £6 for a wool base layer from Endicotts (army surplus) and after several boil washes and a bit of fabric conditioner its the most comfortable top I have ( I know I set the deal up , but its not a plug - just a statement of fact), I have been genuinely impressed and just goes to show you don't always have to shell out loads of cash to get the best kit.
Neil

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
I bought a top a while ago as a kinda experiment, being as I needed new base-layers anyway ... and to be honest I've not looked back. In fact I've been that impressed that I've bought more of it since as it suits me so much better than synthetics.

Stick with it, I've found that it works [better] when it's pushed, there is no way I'd have had any previous top work as well as my merino did last weekend. Classic testing conditions really - Lots of heat and sweat (hmm, nice) under my bag whilst climbing up the hills to deal with, followed by long periods of having to provide insulation whilst I was standing still in the cold wind (I was out filming). I have to say that even wet, it never once felt cold or clammy ...

I did wonder what the fuss was about initially just wearing mine for knocking about in, but I've long stopped wondering now.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
I don't know what maerino wool is, but I have noticed a big difference between "virgin" wool and the reworked stuff (much scratchier).

I make my own winter clothing. On a winter trek I have wool long johns, wool pants, a wool under vest, a wool shirt, a gilet (over vest), a capote, and a canvas anorek (to cut the wind). Any of the inner layers can be removed should it be necessary.

PG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE