Merino wool itch.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Bit random, I have some baseball glove leather conditioner that has lanolin in it, does make a difference and has helped break in.

Reactions: zornt

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Sheep produce a flaky substance called suint.
From Merriam-Webster: "dried perspiration of sheep deposited in the wool and rich in potassium salts".

Yes, some of the sources said even fairly pure lanolin smells some say not. One article mentioned "refining" without defining it. My own smelling ability has not been upto telling the differences in years. Considering the chemical cocktail the raw product is it is not really surprising if it has a smell, there might be a drawback to it, here all the wolves downwind of you come looking for a supper.

Ed the Ted

Forager
Dec 13, 2013
Scotland
I too get the itch from wool. With eczema around my neck, face, hands, arms and shoulders, i gave up on all wool, just not worth it to me as I will scratch myself into a serious flare up that considerably negatively impact my life. Synthetics all the way, but still mainly cotton when im not expecting serious and sustained exertion, till a better alternative comes along.

Last edited:

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
I tend to wear a short sleeved synthetic top under my long sleeved merino tops - this has reduced the itch effect and allows me to remove the merino if I overheat - I run hot!
Just back from a morning's wildfowling. Dropped a cartridge into the sea so had to plunge arm in to retrieve it while I could still see it. The arm of the merino top I was wearing is still a little damp and cool (it was very cool standing in waders up to my delicates). I find that wearing synthetics tends to reduce the chilling factor of damp merino. I am, however, aware that I may be in the minority here as others swear that they are never cool in merino.
Good luck with sorting this one - as others have said, it may just be that, unfortunately, you can't wear wool, even the very expensive kind.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Well, I've done myself no favours!
Found that company with half price silk thermals and wrote down all the details, left it until today to order, and they've sold out my size!
Grrrr! :(
They mentioned a January sale, so I may have to shiver until then.
I hate wearing loads of layers to keep warm. I'm a summer girl, t shirt shorts and sandles do for me.
It takes me twice as long to get dressed in the winter, and I feel all trussed up, and movement can be reduced as it is in the cold weather with my arthritis, let alone in the 3 or 4 layers I need in the winter.
Gutted!
I have tried the hair conditioner on my merino vest. It's better, I managed almost 10 minutes before the angry bees started up this time, so anyone less sensitive it might make the difference.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If it was Patra, their sizes are inclined to be 'snug', so if next one up is available, it'll still be comfy to wear.

It's a very hit or miss thing trying to shop just now, isn't it ? It says it's available, put it in the basket, go to checkout and it's gone :sigh:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
No it was lands end.
£25 each for leggings and vest, so the whole caboodle set for the price of a vest. I thought it was a good bargain. Am now waiting for the january sale.
The young lad on the phone was very sweet and tried to sell me a pettite set, which they still had, but, being5'6" and pettite being for 5' 3"and under was not a great idea, bless him! I'm not that keen on losing 3"on my arms and legs.:)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I decided after my last post to at least get the silk leggings/long John's, they arrived today, and for £25 they seem very good value. Very soft and comfortable, with no angry bees as one would expect from silk.
I realy wish I could have got the vest too, serve me right for being too slow, but I will get one in the January sale.
Very pleased to have saved 25 quid on these. Let's hope I can get the vest for a similar price in the new year. I think I'm converted to sill undergarments for winter instead of the polyester thermals I have to wear instead of merino.
I'm trying not to buy any more synthetic clothing anymore if at all possible.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I decided after my last post to at least get the silk leggings/long John's, they arrived today, and for £25 they seem very good value. Very soft and comfortable, with no angry bees as one would expect from silk.
I realy wish I could have got the vest too, serve me right for being too slow, but I will get one in the January sale.
Very pleased to have saved 25 quid on these. Let's hope I can get the vest for a similar price in the new year. I think I'm converted to sill undergarments for winter instead of the polyester thermals I have to wear instead of merino.
I'm trying not to buy any more synthetic clothing anymore if at all possible.
If the merinos aren’t too tight, you could always try them on top of the silk ones for extra warmth.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Lanolin is a useful substance. You can buy untreated wool for use on foot hotspots to prevent blisters. The lanolin provides the lubrication.

I had a thick Greek wool jumper and being tightly knitted and with its natural oils and lanolin left in the wool it had a very natural DWR treatment right through the fibres of the jumper. Actually my best performing softshell!!!

Reactions: zornt and SaraR

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
I have bought several merino under layers, but never been able to wear them for more than a few minutes. They itch like mad!
I do have sensitive skin, and have rarely been able to wear any woollen item next to my skin. Even a woolen jumper has to have a long sleeved shirt, and another cotton shirt over that to be able to wear a woolen jumper. Unless it's a v neck, I also have to wear a scarf around my neck or it irritates my chin.
So does anyone have a solution to this princess and the pea situation?
I have washed my vests several times as advised to soften the fibres, and used fabric conditioner all to no avail.
Is there an alternative apart from synthetic.?
How can I make my investment wearable?
Am I doomed to wearing synthetic thermals?
Hmm, I know where you’re coming from. I swear by wool,but I feel like I have fleas when I wear it.
So I wear a bamboo long sleeve T-shirt,I still itch but not as bad.
I also wash them in by hand with hair conditioner only.
Antihistamines seem to work a bit too.(not for the wool, but for you)

bearbait

A quote from Pseuds Corner in the current issue of Private Eye:

"I'm always mildly concerned if what I'm wearing isn't uncomfortable or chafing. I think that to feel properly dressed is really to be quite sore in places.
Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen, Guardian".

So, Woody girl, obviously you are not going about this with quite the right attitude!

A happy Winter Solstice to all. Let's hope the new year is (at least slightly) better than the last one...

Reactions: Bert and Toddy

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
You may laugh at this but hear me out.
I won a 100% wool Armani jumper on EBay for £18.. it’s like new.
It’s so finely made I thought it was cotton or some man made fibre.
Doesn’t make me itch or make my skin feel like it’s crawling & I wear it as a base layer..so maybe there is something to be said about cheap vs expensive?
Although it was cheap

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Yes, wearing a silk camisole might cause some comments but if you want to feel a bit more manly the french have a nice fire retardant underwear in dark blue. Quite nice actually fairly thin, bought the set from Leka. That and wool together means that if not totally fireproof you would be fairly safe at any camp fire. ;)

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Yes, wearing a silk camisole might cause some comments but if you want to feel a bit more manly the french have a nice fire retardant underwear in dark blue. Quite nice actually fairly thin, bought the set from Leka. That and wool together means that if not totally fireproof you would be fairly safe at any camp fire. ;)
I used to wear tights in the winter when I used to work on building sites.
There surprisingly warm.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I'm wearing the silk leggings/long John's I bought, and they are nice and cosy and no static. No angry bees. Win win!
After the new year, I will be buying the long sleeved vest to go with them. I wont get it at the price I got the leggings, but I'm sure it will be a good investment all the same.
I know that they are not cheap, but I've learned my lesson buying cheap merino, and wont make the same mistake with cheap silk.!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE