Merino and Possum fur?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Okay, who has some Merino/Possum blend kit and what do you think of it?

I am very tempted to put one of the hats (same thing at Raymears, or Chocolate Fish) on my Christmas list but was wondering how they worked for people. I can't remember the last time I had a wool hat, I have been using synthetics in winter for the passed 14 years, so any comparisons would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Okay, who has some Merino/Possum blend kit and what do you think of it?

I am very tempted to put one of the hats (same thing at Raymears, or Chocolate Fish) on my Christmas list but was wondering how they worked for people. I can't remember the last time I had a wool hat, I have been using synthetics in winter for the passed 14 years, so any comparisons would be gratefully received.

Thanks

I have the RM one. First class and very warm, and very, very soft too.

Paul

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
It is brilliant.

I have a sweater that is 50% merino, 40% possum fur and 10% silk - a present from my indulgent parents. Made in NZ - I think the possum is protected in Australia, and a pest in NZ. Or possibly the other way around.

It is very soft but the best thing about it is the warmth to weight ratio - far better than a wool sweater, and significantly better than polyester fleece.

Not windproof of course.

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Like Doc I have the sweater from NZ.

It is lighter & warmer but most importantly it doesn't make Mrs BG itch. So it may be allergy safe because she itches just looking at my Swannie.:rolleyes:

Go on, get it. You will love it.
G

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
How does the possum component handle the damp? Not a worry on a jumper, but I am a little concerned that as a hat it could end up like wearing a sponge?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
How does the possum component handle the damp? Not a worry on a jumper, but I am a little concerned that as a hat it could end up like wearing a sponge?

If that's the case then I'd switch hats for a Tilley or similar, and return to the wool/fur blend once the rain stops.
I bought one recently and I must admit - its pretty good - warm, nowhere near as itchy as standard wool. pretty much my prefered headwear for this cold spell. Yet to try it in the rain but then I'd probably switch to something else anyway.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Rod

On a new journey
Hiya Chris

I have the "Uncle Ray". best 20 quid I spent on clothing in a long time. Wore mine all through Norway trip last year. Soft & warm. Stays warm when wet with snow or sweat. Never took too long to dry either. Just bringing it back out now for this winter. You can even see mine on my avatar! :cool:

hope this helps

H2497

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2008
London / Herefordshire
It is brilliant.

I have a sweater that is 50% merino, 40% possum fur and 10% silk - a present from my indulgent parents. Made in NZ - I think the possum is protected in Australia, and a pest in NZ. Or possibly the other way around.

It is very soft but the best thing about it is the warmth to weight ratio - far better than a wool sweater, and significantly better than polyester fleece.

Not windproof of course.

You're right, protected in Oz, completely alien to NZ (having no natural mammals or marsupials other than bats). They are culled at every opportunity in NZ - possum fur being an excellent by-product of this process.

I've found the merino/possum mix to be great, almost like cashmere!

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Possums are protected now? Last time I was there, they seemed to be the local equivalent of rats, only bigger.

Now you mention it, I think I've eaten possum...

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
It was quite a long time ago. It's also possible that I'm getting confused. I've definitely eaten wallaby...

Jun 13, 2008
Colchester
got the RM beanie very warm and wind proof. Does hold moisture though, I just wring it out and put it back on and it self dries. Also own a possum and merino vest from nz.nature which is very thin but extremly warm, they also sell a full range of possum clothing including socks and Mt Cook merino underwear which works well for me when I'm on mi bike. goolgle possum wool and you will find the link to nz.nature . They have a sale on at the moment. No connection just good gear well priced.

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
Go for it. I have had to buy 3 this year. My missus poached the first one when she saw it :rolleyes: , I bought another one and her mother poached that one :banghead: so number 3 is kept in my car away from prying eyes :27: . They are really warm but not sticky sweaty warm like synthetic.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
I agree with everyone else here -- go for it. I can't imagine wearing anything other than wool on my head for warmth. Even when wet it's warm, although I where a rain hat when it's wet out.

I have a merino and possom fur neck gaiter that is wonderful too. Highly recommended.

Hi
My wife has some possum/merino sock and loves them. Very soft, light and warm.

Possums are definitely not protected here in NZ but they are in Aus. We shoot and trap them whenever we can. There's still quite a lucrative trade in possum fur and pelts here.

I'm sure you won't regret getting yourself something made from it

Cheers,
J

ANDGRIN

Jun 4, 2004
Bristol
I have a possum/merino wool mix beanie from nznature.com although lovely and warm I find it very itchy. This must be due to the possum fur as I have no problem with other merino wool tops from Icebreaker, Smartwool and Ullfrotte/Woolpower.
If anyone wants it, the first to pm me gets it no charge if in UK.

Cheers Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE