Mention in the Guardian

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Yep, nice heads up. Thanks.

Well researched generally. A shame they don't provide and links though for people to follow up.

It also does not identify the failing within the educational system to engage kids with their natural environment. Not so much the space in which to play as they need to do that on their own/with other kids; but about the natural world around them and their place in it (opportunities & responsibilities), or equip them to find out more for themselves.

Also one of the main criteria throttling such freedom and ability to play in this way, namely our increasingly litigious society.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
I must say, that as an industry the Bushcraft movement really does lead the way, it may not know it but it does.

I adore the way it is so proactive in getting kiddies - the next generation involved, and a lot of movements could learn a lot from it.

Cheers.

Jack

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Overall it is a good article that can only increase the positiveness of the media's and public's view on this type of activity.

As Jack says bushcraft is kinda leading by the horns in getting this world turned around now that even the Scout movement introduced the words "Against", "Heath" and "Safety" into their policies.

"The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents recently castigated Britain's municipal playgrounds as too safe"

Isn't that what the rest of the population has been saying for years? mind you I remember when they were solid concrete and covered in broken glass and used neddles (maybe that was just my estate) and I'm ok *twitch* *twitch* and then all of a suddden they were bouncy rubber and everything that moved or was 6" off the ground dissapeared. A step too far in the opposite direction perhaps. LOL As a country we are starting to level off on the heath and safety aspects. I blame the American sue culture personally. But never mind.

" The first magazine, Bushcraft UK, has just been launched and there is a web forum, BCUK"

I thought that the bushcraft and survival skills magazine was the first bushcraft magazine? They certainly say so on their front cover. Oh well the media often get things a little mixed up. LOL

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Moonraker said:
Also one of the main criteria throttling such freedom and ability to play in this way, namely our increasingly litigious society.

Oh how very true but sad. :( Only the most committed and brave (some would say foolhardy) would consider becoming a Scout Leader in 2006. At least a site like this gives the next generation a glimpse of what the great outdoors offers and that here is the right place to carry a knife. ;)

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
A comment by Jack; made me think .

We had a recent thread, on why we are all into BC, yet another on ,whats the point of it.

Quite a few folk have posted up what they think are their reasons for following BC and being active in it........

I am just wondering , if part of the reason , is the concept of using, "nature in all its form" ,as the yardstick of quality ,something to be ...(can,t describe it, sri)?

(excuse :tacky description of something I have known only as a purely oriental "thing", without a direct translation )

There again, perhaps not.

Ceeg

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I thought that the bushcraft and survival skills magazine was the first bushcraft magazine?
Well all 3 mags came out at around the same time, so it depends on which one turned up on your doorstep first really. But please remember that BCUK had a mag 3-4 years ago, but only lasted 2 editions. The magazine was put on hold until there was more interest and a larger forum membership, so the BCUK mag we have now is more of a re-launch than a new magazine.

Ed

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
ooops my mistake.... I think the old magazine was 'before' the BCUK forum... the forum was set up to gauge the interest in bushcraft by the general public, and the mag was re-launched when the user base was large enough to warrant having a magazine. Maybe Tony can shed some light on this.

Ed

shona

Tenderfoot
Sep 10, 2004
Scotland
Thanks for the link, I enjoyed reading the article.

I agree that children don't get enough freedom these days, but can find myself as a parent falling into the same trap.

My 8 year old can (and frequently does) light a fire in the garden, carries and knows how to use a knife and is always going off on adventures. However the prospect of allowing the kids to go to the park/shops/on a bus with their friends makes me nervous. I try to remind myself of the things I did (or got a way with!) at that age, but in today's society it's people that raise my concern for the kids, not climbing trees or playing in the river.

I also agree that in schools the children don't get enough exposure to nature or adventure. Maybe activities have been cut back because teachers are worried about being responsible for things going wrong away from home/school. In our school sports, activities are always group events so that no-one feels like they aren't a winner.

I think a bit of competition and adventure are good for children and I encourage my kids to do things that by modern standards would appear risky (but I still don't like them going on the bus!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE