Melting Pine Resin - help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 29, 2013
Devon
Hi guys,

New here :) I would like if possible to ask some advice. I need to melt some pine resin and mix it with beeswax. Would anyone know the melting point temperature for Pine Resin and would it be safe to melt in a pan? Or, does it require the double pan method like beeswax? Furthermore, beeswax melts at 60c approximately, so assuming pine resin melts at a higher temperature, what would be the best way of mixing the two without causing a fire!? Hope someone can help as there is not much out there online about melting pine resin or not from what i could see.

Thanks

yoger

Oct 12, 2012
Drammen
wild-traveler.blogspot.com
Hello!
I used to melt pine resin on hot stones by the fire so I assume that it has quite high. From what I found on the net it can be like 180-360 celcius. It can be hard to mix them with that much difference in temperature. Whats the purpouse of mixing them? Maybe we can find some other solution.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I've melted pine resin in a pan without trouble. Not tried mixing it with anything though.

One tip: use an old pan. Getting the resin off the inside afterwards is one of the seven tasks of Hercules.

May 29, 2013
Devon
hi yoger, thanks for the advice. its actually for making snowboard wax but the recipe ive found requires pine rosin and for it to be mixed with beeswax

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'll assume you are planning on making either chewing gum or cutlers resin (glue)?

Melt and if necessary clarify the resin first keep it liquid but not boiling and gradually add the beeswax. Beeswax should not reach the flashover temperature this way. You cannot use a double boiler as the melting temperature of resin is more than the boiling point of water. Beeswax will catch fire if heated too high so use sensible fire precautions

dRe

May 29, 2013
Devon
hi guys, thanks for all the responses. Not sure what happened to my last post but basically i was saying i was making snowboard wax and the recipe demanded both beeswax and pine resin/rosin/pitch/sap. If i heated both up in seperate pots and then shut the heat off at melting points and then combined them immediately, would that then also be a recipe for a fire? Basically fire scares the hell out of me so its whats putting me off trying so i want to make double sure i do it correctly the first time!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
hi guys, thanks for all the responses. Not sure what happened to my last post but basically i was saying i was making snowboard wax and the recipe demanded both beeswax and pine resin/rosin/pitch/sap. If i heated both up in seperate pots and then shut the heat off at melting points and then combined them immediately, would that then also be a recipe for a fire? Basically fire scares the hell out of me so its whats putting me off trying so i want to make double sure i do it correctly the first time!

Ther recipe for a fire is getting a fat too hot. You are heating a fat by doing this - you can't get away from the fact. Just be aware and heat progressively and slowly. Its safe enough if you are careful. Putting water in hot far is dodgy too - but its how we fry chips!

You can't have much fear if you are a snowboarder - I don't have the front for those outfits!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE