Meet the Badger, my new pocket pal!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
PB190379.jpg

This is my new pocket tool that I have made, and needed because I rarely carry my SAK these days (I have been bitten by the Spyder!). Nice though Spyderco blades are, I do miss the SAK's bottle opener, and the ability to do some light prying with the screwdriver. This tool is my solution.
It snaps quickly on and off my keyring:
PB190378.jpg

It opens bottles (the badger seems to be partial to a bit of Badger (disclaimer - other beers are available)):
PB190382.jpg

In addition to a flat blade/prybar I now have pozidrive capability ( a 25mm hex shank bit is stored in a slot and held securely by a rare earth magnet):
PB190381.jpg

I didn't set out to make it look a bit like a badger, it just seemed to form as I was sketching out ideas for a pocket friendly shape.

Thanks for looking.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Thank you to everyone for the positive comments!

I bet you could flog loads of those.

do i smell a group buy coming on? :lmao:

Alas I am not a maker, so this is not likely, also I wouldn't fancy hand filing all those hexagon holes! Anyone got a laser cutter?.

Seriously though, this is now on the internet, so it is "public domain", so feel free to copy it if you like, after all imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

Thanks again.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
That's cool. First bit of EDC crossover I've seen here for a while. Nice work :)

Laser cutter would knock out a few hundred easily. Talk to Duncan (FGYT) maybe?

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Thars cool.
What steel did you use?

That looks excellent!

From the colour, I'd guess you used O1 FGS for it. What about the wire for the spring clip? Piano wire?

The steel is a bit of old leaf spring, which was quite rust pitted, which is why the tool has not got a very highly polished finish. It is hardened and tempered to a purple colour (towards the tougher rather than harder end of the tempering spectrum).

The spring clip is a bit of hard stainless wire, 1mm diameter, which I think was a filler rod for a TIG welder. The clip spring tension is a little weak, I was working by trial and error, so I might alter it (I would just about have room for a clip made of 1.6mm rod, but I don't have any stainless in that diameter)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE