Medieval Hike and Camp

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
We did meet a few normal people on the way back, and a typical question was what are you doing it for. Fun wasn't the answer they expected as most things like this nowadays seem to be be for some cause or other. The rest gave us funny looks and left us alone.

E

ex member coconino

Ha! Next time, see if you can convince people that you had somehow travelled through time, you could really mess with their heads! See Les Visiteurs for tips ;)

Anyway, it's fascinating stuff and it's interesting to read what you thought of the kit. Do you think the canvas shelter would have leaked less if it were pitched more tautly than it looks in the photos? Is there some proofing method which wouldn't be anachronistic?

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Your alright, I didn't know have to put it with being blunt or sarky ;-)

It wasn't mine but it was normal cotton tent canvas which I think is 12 oz and waterproofed during its manufacture. It was cheating but it WAS SNOWING. To have been truer to the period we should have used linen canvas as cotton material as we know it was not as prevalent in the UK as it is nowadays.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hemp would surely have been even more authentic - surely "Canvas" was named after "Canabis" (or at least the same root word in Greek)....or did linen replace hemp before cotton was used for canvas.
Perhaps this is a bit pedantic but I realy would be interested...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Bloody hell John, not half :) You're now out of my comfort zone.

What plant does linen flax come from.

Linen comes from the flax plant :)

I am sorry - I studied Fashion Design, designed for Outdoor Clothing makers (such as Craghoppers and Snowdon Clothing) and review gear for magazines...this has lead to my getting a bit anal about fabrics :)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You definately tested your kit out in those conditions, I take my preverbial hat off to you all..!
And I bet the fun of it all outweighed any of your load carrying discomforts!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE