Medicine Spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Del's kolrosing knife is really a pretty simple one. It has an old time dip pen sort of wood body with a short wedge blade that is sharp sharp sharp.

kol.cap2.jpg

Just a fairly light draw on the wood with it will cut a line about a half mm deep. Getting the blade to cut across the grain to follow the desired pattern line is where the skill comes in in my view. This alder was way easier than a birch spoon I tried this out on earlier. Getting wavy crooked lines is pretty easy....:D Trying to hold the spoon from rocking around and cut cross grain looks like it is going to take a whole lot of practice. I am thinking I will carve some quick oval shaped pieces to practice on.

Once the lines are cut, finely powdered coffee is rubbed into the cuts to define the lines. I think that some artists would shellac the wood prior to the cuts to prevent the coffee from going into the grain of the wood, but I have not bothered with that on my two attempts.

Like all of Del's tools this one is very well made. He provides a very simple and effective wooden tube sheath for it too.

Del has some very good introductory reading on his site that can explain the process much better, and just looking at Judy Ritger's work really shows what amazing work can be done.

http://www.pinewoodforge.com/kolrosing.html

He has some other amazing examples from other artists too...

http://www.pinewoodforge.com/kolrosed.pieces.html

Overall I fine this a fun method to play with and can see it as really accenting my work if I ever get finer control of the knife. For $22 the knife is a great fun thing to try.

Here is the kolrosing knife along with two of Del's hooks and a Kestrel Tool carving knife. I have also added one of Del's sloyds to my selection and it is my favorite straight knife of any I own.

stubbsspoons3240rn2.jpg

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I checked out an amazing book from the library.

514w0DPVDYL._BO2,204,203,200_PIlitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,32,-59_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Great Book of Celtic Patterns: The Ultimate Design Sourcebook for Artists and Crafters (Paperback)
by Lora S. Irish (Author)

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Book-Ce...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203978152&sr=1-1

Celtic patterns of all sorts with scale drawing, illustrations etc.

This is where I got the simple Celtic heron knot that I lengthened to kolrose into the handle of the medicine spoon. There are many many Viking/Celtic inspired knots and animal knots in this pattern book that I hope to use on more of my carvings.

Within this book I found a simple tea scoop that had been decorated with a couple of Celtic braid carvings, and I knew exactly how I was going to make one of my own.

I picked up another chunk of wet alder a couple of weeks ago….the same chunk that I got the net needle and medicine spoon from, and started roughing it out with my Skookum Carver and Stubbs right hook. This was started in a slightly bent branch and the handle is nearly the size of the branch.

teascoop3152kp3.jpg

This spoon is starting to follow the pattern in the book but instead of a woodburn decoration, I am going to try and Kolrose in the Celtic patterns on the handle and in the scoop.

I took the scoop out of the Flax oil last night and so far it only has some minor heart checks in the handle. If it does not split I will refine its shape a bit more then kolrose both the shovel and the handle.

I hope to be able to finish carving this one this weekend (leaving it tooled not sanded) then lay out the braid patterns and see if I can get something a bit less primative on this one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE