Medicine Spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Medicine Spoon

I finished this medicine spoon this weekend. The shape reminded me of a spoon my Mom used to shove liquid vitamins down our throats.

I did it out of a green alder limb that was cut at the base of a multi-stalk "bush". The natural bend coming out at the ground formed the curve. I was not sure if it was going to turn out too well as alder is pretty soft, but I think it worked out. It is in flax seed oil now.
medicinespoonfront3112pf8.jpg

medicinespoonback3111bq9.jpg

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Thanks all.

It is indeed nice to find a piece of wood with a curve that works.

I actually picked up the branch to use for my smaller netting needle, but as I was preparing that end of the branch...I kept loooking at the slight S-curve in the other end. The branch was only a couple of inches in diameter and I could not really see a useful spoon down there.

netneedlealderdrawmotiowd0.jpg

But I did see at least some carving practice, so I took it down to the pith with the drawknife and then gave it a go.

alderspoonlong2934qg7.jpg

As I was refining the shape I found it more and more pleasing so just kept at it. I totally remined me of this long handled narrow spoon my Mom used....not really a pleasant memory of those awful vitamins, but a pleasant memory of her chasing my sister and me around the house:D

Beagles have opposing thumbs, don't you know...? ;-)

Actually, the snake was my lovely wife's idea... Now that you mention it, I bought this terrific little book called The Little Book of Whittling:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books...7-item.html?ref=Search+Books:+%27lubkemann%27

and it has all sorts of little ideas for carving - little snakes are in there. I highly recommend something like this for those of us interested in bushcraft!

Cheers

Mungo

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria

Actually, the snake was my lovely wife's idea... Now that you mention it, I bought this terrific little book called The Little Book of Whittling:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books...7-item.html?ref=Search+Books:+%27lubkemann%27

and it has all sorts of little ideas for carving - little snakes are in there. I highly recommend something like this for those of us interested in bushcraft!

Cheers

Mungo

The little bookof whittling is very interesting i have read it

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
The Twig book is definately worth having. Last year I had three of the neighbor kids over for a carving session....two herons, one chicken and one bandaid (plaster).

carvingkids5043on8.jpg

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA

Cheers

Mungo

I think I saw that fellow playing cards.....

They are talented. My boy never did learn to use the spoon, but he sure liked his coffee.

watsoncompostnn2.jpg

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I thought this blank alder was like a canvas…..it needed something. So I pulled out my Del Stubbs Kolrosing knife, found a Celtic heron knot in Lara Irish’s Great Book of Celtic Patterns…copied and lengthened it, transferred it to the spoon and cut in the pattern. A rub with finely ground coffee to reveal the crooked pattern and shading cuts and wham….another perfectly good spoon with my version of art.....or possibly ready for the bin:D

medicinespooncelticheroho8.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE