Medicine Men GO Wild...Heads up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Seany Boy ,Yeah looks interesting,they were on Richard and Judy earlier,i liked the way the natives made eye droppers out of a leave,should be good viewing.

Cheers Stuart.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Seems interesting indeed - I have it on now :)

Edit: It was absolutely fascinating. I thought their reflections on what was going on around
them were very insightful.

The next episode is on next Tue, 29 Jan, 9pm.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Ah. First to get in with the post-mortem!

I thought it was a good program with balanced attitudes from the presenters and no showmanship.

The medical stuff was well presented and not too preachy. And while it wasn't the focus there was some great bushcraft on show (baskets, containers (including eye-droppers)), shelter-building etc. etc.

Apart from the title, it's a good effort by Channel 4 to present a meaningful account of contrasting medical practices and a smattering of fieldcraft without much hype. Nice one.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Very interesting, I thought their comparisons between the healer and themselves was thought provoking at the very least!

I'm unsure how I feel about them treating the baby! I'm not sure why as I know I would do exactly the same if I had the ability etc but for some reason it seemed to sit a little uncomfortably with me.

I think perhaps in particular when their closing piece discusses the death's of chldren who wouldn't be able to cope with the life. I don't know!

Very good though.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
One thing that struck me ( other than the ouch! ) was that one of thme was so dissmisive about the tibetian herbal doctoring, he looked partically panic stricken for the man with the broken ribs. I find it a sad state of affairs that even in this so called moden age, we tend to look down of things we don't / no longer understand. I guess it's the 'sheep' aspect of our modern western society, be are held by the hand all the time and not given much room to think for ourselves. As he later pointed out in a round-a-bout fashion, the human body can do so much by itself, with the aid of proper thinking.

It must be a terrifying yet truely enlighening experience for them both, to do what they have done. I can only imagine that many of us here would love the opertunity to some something similar.

Nag.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
It's on again in a few minutes on Channel 4 (9pm) or 10pm if you've still got things to do
and fancy a spot of telly an hour later via Channel 4+1.

3/4 - Healthiest Hearts
Documentary series in which two young British doctors, identical twins Chris and Xand van Tulleken, immerse themselves in four of the most extreme places on Earth in order to discover whether traditional forms of healing can provide information into curing illnesses. The brothers travel to eastern Siberia to find out why the Chukchi people, who exist on a diet of fish, sea animals and almost no vegetables, rarely die from heart attacks.
VIDEO Plus+: 2563

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
This episode was really good IMO didn't really focus to much on the medicine side of things and we got to watch the Chukchi do what they do best fish for large mammals. (Though my sqemish Misses kept wanting to turn it over when they were battering or harpooning them). But even her as a Veggie really appreciated their philosophy with regards caring and respecting the animal population.

Good stuff, which is more than can be said for the Russian Airforce, who's low flying pass of the beach managed to wipe out hundreds of Walrus. :cussing:

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
They're at it again on Channel 4, this time in Peru and planning on getting a bit out of it
with the local flora.

It should be on Channel 4+1 an hour from now.

Last in series...
"Documentary series in which two young British doctors, identical twins Chris and Xand van Tulleken, travel to extreme habitats to investigate whether traditional forms of healing can provide information into curing illnesses. The twins enlist the help of the Shaman of Peru to help them unlock the medical secrets of one of the most botanically diverse places on earth."

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE