Mechanix Gloves for hot work

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I use Fastfix gloves for work and they are pretty good for general use.
They are very synthetic though and I’m not sure they’d offer must protection for heat. There is a leather palmed version which may be better for heat.
fit wise they are great and thin enough for pretty much any task

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I use commercial restaurant oven mitts, good to 550F. Washable and $15.00/pair (9.37 BPS).
Oven mitts in a gourmet kitchen store could be twice as expensive.

richy3333

Jan 23, 2017
Far north Scoootland
I have a pair of mechanix gloves, not sure of the model (label says original covert?). They were about £25. By far the worst gloves I’ve ever purchased. They are a synthetic leather material. The palm got a nick in week one - can’t recall ho, I super glued it together. The stitching between the ‘leather‘ palm and back failed ages ago. I pulled them out at the start of lock down to sew up but have never gotten around to doing it.

the label says ‘not flame proof or fire retardant. Do not use near open flame or sparks‘.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
i really liked my mechanix gloves for my old work when I was teaching urban operations, but as a good heavy work glove they are not as robust, although the dexterity is good and fit close to the fingers, they are not made of the strongest materials, the better work gloves I have found are a pair of old british army cotton, with leather palm gloves for summer use as they are light and breath well, and the leather palm part is very robust and good. Nomex flight gloves are really good but they can be expensive. A cheap good option are my German army combat leather glove, flectarn cotton backs with a leather palm and fingers.

For general bushcraft use I like the Briers leather gloves which still give me good dexterity for most work including handling stuff round the fire but are slightly padded and a lot harder wearing. hope that helps. Another alternative are the heavy cotton work glove you can find in most garden centres, which often have a light leather or suede palm and fingers. In warmer weather they are good or the other old favourite is a set of welding gloves

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
It’s true they are not the most robust or hardwearing, but it’s the trade off between dexterity and protection.
I can use a phone, laptop, drive and fine skills such as turning a key whilst wearing them, no always possible in thicker gloves.
I think for pots or bushcraft related tasks gardening gloves can’t be beat.

Code 4

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2020
Shrewsbury
I had some mechanix gloves but they were not the best when using the log burner. Great for shooting/driving and lighter more dexterous tasks. Have used all sorts but the best for your buck, longevity and most tasks I find our these on Ebay. Sadly only medium left. £8.95 delivered. Made in Pakistan from Goat skin with a fleece lining. Having a liner was strange to begin with but its all I wear now. I bought a spare pair for when these fall apart.
Item number401740339227

from
westwoodretail

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE