May The Wood Lord Be With You

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Got the distinct impression we missed the boat yesterday in the context of the so-called “World Day Of Tolerance”. My reasoning being if a certain cult film organisation, however tongue-in-cheek, can seek to have their ‘faith’ recognised as a religion then perhaps it is only right that disciples of all things Wood Smokey should be conferred the same status and tolerance.

The latter could be very useful if translated into:

a. Unhindered access to all land where we might wish to make offerings to our preferred bush deity. Such to permit the purging of our oft’ corrupt souls with the aid of incense borne of a variety scented woods once ignited, of course, only by bow, sinew and much aching of the arm.

b. Similar access to harvest the fruits of the fungi Lord – “May the Force be With You” oh mighty one.

c. All landowners to ensure ample quantities of mead are deposited at boundary markers, thus permitting the warding off of evil wood spirits after “lights out”.

d. One public holiday each autumn to permit the taking of one or more horned (antler I know before someone corrects me) beast, and the use of your local Tesco cold store for carcass preparation. Drinking of the beast’s life-enhancing blood, either warm or chilled, being optional as we are a tolerant lot.

e. A minimum of three (3) hours each boring Sunday evening to be given over by BBC Television to back-to-back wildlife and woods-living programmes, the latter with no less than 30 minutes of unapologetic scenes of hunting and, last-but-not-least, a closing address from Wooldloreian High Priest himself: Ray “ Does My B-m Look Big Against This Knife” Mears!

Cheers

Klench

Reactions: bambodoggy

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
Sounds okay to me how do we get this cult officially recognised? I cant wait to wear my new "ceromonial axe" up the high street. Is it okay to declare today a holy day? as I dont fancy doing a late shift! :lmao:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well, Jedi is a recognised religion, and that crap Tom Cruise does is also recognised and even tolerated so I don't see why not. I seem to recall a minimum of 1000 members are required before it becomes an official religion. We should be able to cope with that!!!

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Jedi isn't a recongnised religion yet, and the whole 1000 members thing is not in any way true (in the UK at least). Sorry.

However, Druidism is a recognised religion I think, and you could argue that the Horned God / Green Man is a druidic diety. Whether you want to be associated with the modern Druids is another matter... ;)

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
What is the difference between an religion and a hobby?

I would suggest that a hobby is about a particular interest in one thing, whereas a religion is a particular point of view or insight about EVERY thing.

For some people a hobby can become an obsession and become EVERYTHING to them, so for them a hobby could indeed be a religion. Football could be an example of this.

Bushcraft - to be a religion it would have to have relevance to most parts of my life - work and play - and perhaps give me some guiding principles about how I should approach things. Well, I am a GP in a city and work with a computer a lot. I might toy with the idea of medical syringes being used a fire pistons, but apart from that I find it tough to draw bushcraft principles into my life.

So bushcraft for me - between hobby and obsession. (Closer to obsession apparently)

Culicoidis

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
Wiltshire
The problem with bushcraft as a religion is that most religions are based on faith, bushcraft is based on knowledge and understanding.
In a religion something is true and undeniable because the bible, koran, talmud what ever says so. In bushcraft what fits with your skill level and more importantly what works in your given situation is what is important. If bush craft became a religion before you know it there would be schism and the sects of friction fire lighting would be declaring holy war against the heretics who use the thrice damned flint and steel.
I think I would rather keep it as something for me and like minded individuals to enjoy as and when we can.
Perhaps getting recognition of it as a pass time would be better, but individuality is what bushcraft is about.

Culicoidis

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
Wiltshire
Paganism covers so much, and some of its forms have a great deal going for them. It is dogmatic religion that is littered with pit falls. Bushcraft has the ability to give people of varied and different faiths a common ground to meet upon.
Sorry getting a bit philsophical,it's late and I am enjoying a beer after a hard training session so am surfing the wave of endorphins and alcohol. A truely relaxing and mellowing experience.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Sorry to turn serious on you, but when I'm in the woods or on the waters - is when my particular belief system makes the most sense - I've no need of another.

PG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE