Maxpedition Versipack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
For the past few weeks I've been using a Maxpedition Thermite Versipack to carry outdoor gear and I thought I'd share some of my thoughts and feelings about it here.

What is it?
First, what is a Maxpedition Thermite Versipack? Well, it's a belt worn thigh pack that has a waist belt (adjustable up to nearly 50" waist) and a thigh strap to keep it stationary and prevent it from bouncing all over the place when running. On the leg it rides quite low (rather like a tactical holster) and can be worn in an over the shoulder configuration. At forst it seems a little wierd, but after a short while it just starts to feel "right".

The pack contains a number of pockets and pouches (nine in all), the largest being 8" x 4.75" x 3". Have no doubts - this pack can hold a lot. If you want, pouches can be put on the pack belt. This is what mine has held recently:

Wallet
Notepad
Pen and pencil
Al Mar SERE 2000 knife
Surefire M2
iPAQ PDA
GPS
Gloves
Headover
Small first aid kit
WetFire
BlastMatch
Various other bits and bobs

So, it holds a lot!

I really like this bit of kit for a variety of reasons. First, it's a handy hands-free way to carry stuff. All the zips and clips and fasteners can be operated single handed without problem. I also like the fact that is holds things securely until needed. The package is nice and comfortable to wear when walking, running, crawling and lying down. I've even found it no problem to drive with it. Through the thoughtful positioning of a tensioning strap, things inside the pack stay still and don't rattle about.

The outer shell of the pack is hard wearing cordura and mine still looks like new after many outings. I can't see any weaknesses in the design and there are no signs of loose stitching or fraying edges on mine. It seems very waterproof, although I tend to keep things in plastic bags.

Dislikes:
Only one. The metal zip toggles. I removed the ones on mine and replaced them with small lengths of paracord.

Conclusion
A well thought out bit of kit that is not only practical but comfortable to wear. Mine has become a regular companion on outings and geocaching trips.

9/10

The UK supplier for Maxpedition gear is www.woodlandorganics.com :biggthump

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
That sounds great Adi. Any chance of action photos? I've looked at these before on Jacks site and on the maxpedition site but it is good to hear what they are like first hand.

Bill

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
I've got one too. Really handy piece of kit. I find it very liberating to use as it leaves your hands free but your kit is more easily accessible than a backpack. It does get some funny looks occasionally - like I care! :lol: - but it's mainly because people that think it's a good idea and want to know where to get one!

I'll take some pics and upload them tomorrow... :wave:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
It hangs low enought for me to wear it with a ruck no problems. I tend to wear the belt slung across gunslinger style so the buckles don't interfere.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Sounds interesting Adi - i've read the catalogue but it would be great to see pictures to get a proper idea of size and how it carries.

I use a north face bumbag for short outings and find it an ideal way to keep the more valuable and fragile bits of kit together (steiners, wave, woodlore, surefire, wallet, camera,etc). The downside of this is that it really doesn't work with a backpack, and I end up "sort of" strapping it under the top flap of the pack.

Cheers

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Alick

I've got a Lowe Alpine Mesa Runner 5 litre bumbag and was thinking exactly the same as you. It is good for wearing on its own but ends up inside anything bigger I use at the same time. The compartments/ pockets look better on the maxpedition as well.

Bill

ANDYLASER

Nomad
Mar 27, 2004
SOUTHAMPTON
I have a Proteus versipack and am totally chuffed with it. I have managed to stuff all kinds of things into it, including a small stove and the main pocket is virtually empty.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Dunno, coz I ain't one!!!! :eek:):

However, the pack is 28 cms from the top of the belt to the bottom of the pack. That should give you an idea.

Hope this helps!

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
I'm short I guess and I haven't found a problem with it. It can take a little adjusting to get the leg strap small enough as I guess it's further down than it would be on a tall person. But that's the only issue I've noticed with it... hope that helps!

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
My 'Saturday hurdle making' Thermite, carrying the following;

1 x Spitting Hook
1 x Snedding Hook
1 x Wave
1 x Opinel
1 x Eze-Lap
1 x 2L water bottle
1 x Compass
1 x Mobile Phone
1 x Blast Match
1 x Wet Fire Tinder
1 x Strike Force
1 x Star Flash
1 x JetScream Whistle
20 x Business Card .....never know who you will meet!
1 x Lipstick, again, never know who you will meet!

Jack.

Attachments

• Thermite 2.jpg
    Thermite 2.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 78

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Thanks for the pics. Jack is that big bottle secure in there and does it weigh you down when it's full or does the bag transfer the weight to your hip?

Thanks agian and sorry for the questions

Bill

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I find that properly adjusted it transfers the weight to the hip quite well.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
OK, you folks asked for photos, so here they are!
Warning - Cheesy catalog photos to follow. :eek:):

First, he's me wearing the pack. It's pretty full at this point (torch, EDC, small first aid kit, GPS, spare batteries etc ...). Notice too how I replaced the metal zip pulls with paracord.
maxp.jpg

Here's the really cheesy shot, but it gives you an idea of size and how it fits:
maxp2.jpg

This pack is really versatile too, changing to accomodate your load. Here's what it looks like fully loaded (notice the width):
maxp_stuffed.jpg

And here is is empty (there is a compression band that takes up the slack effectively):
maxp_flat.jpg

I really like this pack! :eek:): It's become a regular bit of kit on outings now, both rural and urban.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE