Maximum £20 for a medical kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Ok peoples, I have a sharp knife but no medical kit, so I'm thinking I should buy one, before I cut off too many fingers so that I can't even open a plaster to put on my stumps... :eek:

I have a maximum of £20 (but would idealy not like to spend all of that), and with that need to buy the things to go in the kit, and also the bag/pouch for the things to go into.

I'm thinking just a small, simple kit, with the basics for a two day trip max... Please, please, please, help me know what to get and where from!!!

Thanks,
Dan

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I use the life adventure ones and add to them, personally if you're on a budget you can't go wrong with making your own up from scratch. At least it'll personalised to you AND you'll know exactly whats in it and where to find it.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I'm pretty sure its outside the realm of this thread in terms of costs but Stuarts got a fantastic first aid kit that acts a thigh pouch, similar to the Maxpedition systems. The beauty of this is that when you kneel down it unzips onto the floor so that everything is close to hand.

Not sure what its called or where you get it from though.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
I'm having trouble visualising that... What happens if you just need to kneel down, or if you stumble and land on your knees, does the entire fak go all over the floor??

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Nope its not open like that. Basically its folded in half and zipped up. You then kneel down and unzip it from top to bottom and the front half folds foward onto the ground and the back half stays on your leg so that everythings accessible.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Ah I see, I thought you meant by kneeling down the contents are automatically emptied out onto the floor in front of you...

I suggest that you buy a waterproof box (kitchen type) and fill it yourself.

I would think that for a weekend expedition involving knife use you might need the following:

=
Plasters (whatever type you like best)

One No 1 Ambulance Dressing

One larger Ambulance dressing (Number 3)

Finger dressing (difficult to tie on yourself)

Antiseptic wipes or Steripods (you can dispense with these if you are carrying soap and water - really, soap is better than these wipes)

Compeed blister plasters (unless you NEVER get blisters)

Paracetemol (or pain killer of preference)

Two triangular bandages (if you get sterile ones they can double up for covering cuts)

Burngel dressings (If lots of water available and you don't want the extra weight (minimal) then don't worry about these)

You might like to have a crepe bandage for sprains and strains.

Available from:

www.stjohnsupplies.co.uk

www.spservices.co.uk

or by Google Search

You'll probably only ever use the plasters though :rolleyes:

Hope this helps,

Chris

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Yeah cheers Chris that has helped!! I think probably putting my own kit together would be the cheapest option!! Cheers!!

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
I have the Gregson Pocket Pack first aid kit. Can't remember where I bought it but it cost about £16. Has all the basic day to day items. I've heard good things about the larger packs to (they come in various sizes i.e. pocket pack then No. 1 Pack through to No.4). There is enough room inside to add any extras that you might need and has a very good little first aid reminder sheet inside.

Edit: Just found this site - Adventure Kit - which seems to stock them. It also has a contents comparison table on it (although this doesn't include the Pocket Pack ......although they do sell them ...... bizarre).

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Steristrips are very light and good for closing incised wounds. For some reason ordinary first aid kits never seem to have them but expedition kits sometimes do.

I can send you a few free if you PM me your mail address.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Doc said:
Steristrips are very light and good for closing incised wounds. For some reason ordinary first aid kits never seem to have them but expedition kits sometimes do.

I've used micropore and even insulation tape (which I carry for the feet) for this before, would steristrips be a better idea?

Doc said:

Isn't it because nurses (more so than doctors I've notcied) throw hissy-fits about knowing about proper wound cleansing techniques prior to using items like steri-strips?

dave750gixer

May 3, 2004
scotland
my first cheap FAK was just a list of the things I always ended up going to the chemists to buy every time anyone cut themselves. So it should be a good start.

micropore tape
2"x2" non adherent dressings
steristrips
antiseptic cream

and add various plasters for minor stuff.

just use water for cleaning.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Grez said:
Bardster said:
But the main one is a BCB Life Saver 3.
http://www.bcbin.com/Default.aspx?cid=19

Looks like it might be good kit for the price, any idea what is actually in it?

Cheers

Grez..
I have a sneaking suspision the BCB make the Life Saver Gregson Packs I was refering to in my last post (I didn't scroll down on the BCB link :rolleyes: ). I think this is a list of contents for each pack:- Contents

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE