Maximum £20 for a medical kit

khimbar

Nomad
Jan 5, 2005
birmingham uk
Morrisons had First Aid Kits for £2.99 last time I was in the store in Carlisle (though that was last month). It's very basic but there was enough room in the pouch to fill it with more stuff and tailor it to what you need. Don't know if they're still £2.99 though.

Grez

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
-
Cheers for the link Beer Monster!! :) :)

I'm currently torn between either of these :confused: :confused:

Civilian/Military Maxi First Aid Kit (£ 26.75),
Lifesaver First Aid Packs Lifesaver 3 (£ 26.20) .

I also noticed that last time I was in boots they were having one of their 3 for 2 offers on first aid stuff.

Cheers

Grez..

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
My other half and I do a fair amount of walking so I'm toying with buying some instant cold packs as well for my kit. Only thing I'm concerned with is that they're activated by squeezing hard and mixing the contents and I'm a tad worried that they'll go off in the bag and be useless when they're needed.

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
We use a lot of these to fix up our jousters after a show. They take quite a bit of force to break the inner pack - needs a twisting motion like wringing out a flannel. I don't think you'd have a problem with them in a pocket of a 'sack. They're particularly good where freeze spray can't be used (like fingers).

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Grez said:
Cheers for the link Beer Monster!! :) :)

I'm currently torn between either of these :confused: :confused:

Civilian/Military Maxi First Aid Kit (£ 26.75),
Lifesaver First Aid Packs Lifesaver 3 (£ 26.20) .

I also noticed that last time I was in boots they were having one of their 3 for 2 offers on first aid stuff.

Cheers

Grez..

Probably worth PMing Doc and asking his opinon which one is better equiped? Or are there any other medical people out there?

Not sure why but the civilian Maxi First Aid Kit is only £16 here?

swamp donkey

Forager
Jun 25, 2005
uk
Heres some purposeful wanderings around the personal first aid kit. Its not supposed to be egg sucking just my own thoughs born out by experience, It may A bit late for this thread maybe but just might interest someone :rolleyes

IMHO All of us that work alone or go down to the woods ;) alone should have a personal first aid kiit. It also needs to be on our person or very close . This may seem obvoius but it can often be hard to get it right.
They do not need to be very large small belt pack will surfice. They do need to have 2 other attributes :-

1.`You must be able to open it with one hand. Pound to a pinch of salt when you need it you will be hanging on to something that hurts or is leaking :eek:

2. It needs to bein truely waterproof container. First aid kit that got wet last week will be absolutly useless when you want it.

So heres what I carry and why and some alternatives .It should be ok for most people but check allergies

1. A good strong pair of nail scissors not clipers. problems with toe and finger nails can cause misery. I use fiskars nice and strong.

2. Some thing to remove splinters . could be splinter tweezers , a wide bore hyperdermic needle (my choice) or even a good strong sharp sewing needle.

3. Something to plug a big wound . Army first field dressing , bloodstopper or even a couple of sanitary towels and a 3 inch /75mm crepe bandage (easiest to put on with one hand) Do not go for the ambulance dressings you get in HSE kits as they are very compressed and hard to get out with one hand.

4. Betadine paint, a good all round anteseptic comes in a tough little bottle (squash proof).

5. .Assorted plasters, Good quality fabric ones, cheap ones just do not stay on. I use the strip type and precut into a different sizes.

6. a plastic bag big ehough to put a burnt hand in .

7. A J cloth to mop up and clean.

8. a small roll of 1 inch / 25mm zinc oxide tape . White not skin colour as it sticks so much better. lots of uses,

9. a couple of squares of melalin wound dressing or simalar.

This collection will it into a pretty small container.

This collection has not let me down so far , mind you I always seem to be using it on other folks who dont have a first aid kit :rolleyes:

Hope this helps some one other than me.

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
If anyone has a local Morrison's supermarket it might be worth popping by- I just got a kit in a green bag for £2.99, which is a bargain. I would have liked a couple but they only had one, so maybe others will have more luck The bag has plenty of space spare for you to add and customise, and to be honest if the bag proves durable it's worth the price just for that alone.

Contents:

A First aid leaflet
Absorbent lint
10 Washproof plaster
Cotton wool buds
1.25mm x 1m Micropore tape
5 cotton wool balls
2 50mmx50mm non adherent dressings
2 antiseptic wipes
1 pair vinyl gloves
5 safety pins
1 pair scissors
1 pair plastic forceps.

All are europlast / Frank Sammeroff Ltd. branded, so proper stuff. Get shopping!

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
swamp donkey said:
This collection has not let me down so far , mind you I always seem to be using it on other folks who dont have a first aid kit :rolleyes:

Hope this helps some one other than me.

I will just add a couple of extra things

Resus mask

GLOVES (best if you get the lytex freee ones)

underground said:
If anyone has a local Morrison's supermarket it might be worth popping by- I just got a kit in a green bag for £2.99, which is a bargain. I would have liked a couple but they only had one, so maybe others will have more luck The bag has plenty of space spare for you to add and customise, and to be honest if the bag proves durable it's worth the price just for that alone.

Contents:

A First aid leaflet
Absorbent lint
10 Washproof plaster
Cotton wool buds
1.25mm x 1m Micropore tape
5 cotton wool balls
2 50mmx50mm non adherent dressings
2 antiseptic wipes
1 pair vinyl gloves
5 safety pins
1 pair scissors
1 pair plastic forceps.

All are europlast / Frank Sammeroff Ltd. branded, so proper stuff. Get shopping!

You should try to avoid using cotton wool/lint directly on a wound because it leaves bits behind.

Also you will need to add some kind of bandage (perhaps a White Open Weave) to apply pressure to a serious bleed. From the kit you have bought it would be non-adherent-dressing over the wound, then a padding of lint then... ...here comes the bandage to apply some pressure to the wound.

Chris

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lithril said:
My other half and I do a fair amount of walking so I'm toying with buying some instant cold packs as well for my kit. Only thing I'm concerned with is that they're activated by squeezing hard and mixing the contents and I'm a tad worried that they'll go off in the bag and be useless when they're needed.

I picked up a pack (2) of these this afternoon in Poundland! Tried one out of curiosity and it seems to be excellent. They had heat pads, 2 in abox, for a £ too.

Cheers,
Toddy

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Doc said:
Steristrips are very light and good for closing incised wounds. For some reason ordinary first aid kits never seem to have them but expedition kits sometimes do.

I can send you a few free if you PM me your mail address.

I think it has something to do with the fact that if it needs Steristripping, you should be going to hospital. It is the HSE/First aid at work thinking coming over, got to worry about being sued above all else. You have to bear in mind we do not even check for a pulse anymore.

I think everyone has basically covered what to do, buy a cheap kit and add to it. You will find over time that certain things get replaced because you do not like them.

Second purchase, check the plasters stick, I have gone over to the blue ones because they at least seem to stick to things other than themselves. Steri stripps are a must but expect verbal at A & E, and pain, lots of pain, they call it cleaning but it is punishment for trying to avoid A & E.

Last bit of advice, check use by date on plasters and midi wipes, if it has something in it that will degrade, replace it. They are a bit of a con on most items but they seem to serve a purpose on these things. For example, a triangle bandage is going to work regardless(We use calico handmade ones so we get a bigger size) but plasters dry out and do not stick.

L

l hoppstubbe m

my first post on this website - howdi all of ya..

re footcare: my essential for firstaid kits are blister plasters (hydrocolloid dressings), moleskin too and a sterile needle. oh yea and a sense of humour helps too

go where you will feel the wind in your hair and the hat on your ears....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE