Matts Homemade Underblanket (with pictures).

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
With Autumn here and Winter on the horizon my thoughts turned to cosy camping and I was inspired by the Ogri-pod and the underblanket from Wandering Stars group buy and being on the skint side decided to create my own...

A brief description:

It was made from an old rectangular sleeping bag. The corners trimmed to shape and elasticated cord runs along both sides inside a 'biased binding' hem to create a 'pod' when slung under the hammock. I tried to dye it from blue to green for subtlety but that failed, you can't easily dye nylon this big so I bought a lightweight piece of DPM meterial from a haberdashery, cut to shape and stuck it on the with a can of carpet glue. I also had some 'sleeves' made for my cheaty 'tapes' which are actually two hooked tow ropes. A picture paints a thousand words so here are a few.

The inside showing the elastic cord. I looped these for reasons you will see further down but the cord is long and can be tied around your tree's with the hammock tarps...
ub01.jpg

A closer view of the loops (the 'biased binding is a left long to facilitate tying the ends up for a snugger fit)...
ub02.jpg

The hammock 'naked'...
ub03.jpg

A close-up of the hammock/hook attachment...
ub04.jpg

The underblanket attached...
ub05.jpg

A close-up of the loop attachment...
ub06.jpg

And the complete set-up with one of my lads 'modelling' inside...
ub07.jpg

Hope this helps and inspires :D

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Looks good Matt you will have to try it out now and see if its warm.

Simon.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I've made one in a very similar way. I was going to post it, but you've saved me the bother!

One thing though, if you tension your long shock cords enough, you don't need the tie-overs at either end. I made mine to be 3/4 length to save on weight/size and this is obviously essential in that case as you don't want to have straps tied over your legs when nature calls at 2am!:)

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Looks good Matt you will have to try it out now and see if its warm.

Simon.

Simon,

I have high hopes as even on a warm day I have felt cold spots just lounging in a hammock. I have been in it for a chill out for about 20 minutes and it feels very warm with no cold spots and the outside temp is quite low now.

It will have a thorough field test at the Middlewood meet ;)

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I've made one in a very similar way. I was going to post it, but you've saved me the bother!

One thing though, if you tension your long shock cords enough, you don't need the tie-overs at either end. I made mine to be 3/4 length to save on weight/size and this is obviously essential in that case as you don't want to have straps tied over your legs when nature calls at 2am!:)

I can see your point there Shep and I'm sure there will be adjustments and adaptions made in due coarse although you can't really get it from the perspective in my pictures it is pretty much full length and getting in and out with the ties tied isn't a bother.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Fantastic Matt,
Very well done. I'm humbled by the thought that my primative efforts are still encouraging folk to have a go themselves. It's still around and being modified beyond all recognition - the original was just too hot, even in febuary!

All the best and thanks

Ogri the trog

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Just a thought but how come no one is using velcro to attach the underblanket to the hammock? With velcro you could have a 100% seal around the edge of the hammock and if used in a grid pattern under your back/legs there would be no air gap between you and the blanket. Not to mention the lack of problems with the blanket straps around your ankles/neck.

Just a thought...

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Matt, damn impressive chap now i know how to make one myself as i have a DD hammock and was wondering what all the palava was about an under blanket.
Top marks matey.

Now to another point. Why not use velcro as Chris has said and why use shock cord?

Couldn't you just tie the underblanket to the hammock ropes at the end?

Last question, how thick should an under blanket be to be comfortable enough?

Cheers

Nat

PS: Very impressive Matt

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
My thoughts on using velcro,
... would be that the inner layer of material would be "stuck" to the underside of the hammock and then there would be an air gap to the top surface of the insulation. If it is done with cords, the weight of the insulation means that, once it is adjusted properly, there is no air gap and hence you are in direct contact with uncompressed insulation, meaning that you stay warmer. Or you can have a lighter underbalnket for the same warmth. That and you won't be shattering the peace and quiet whanever you part the velcro!
Interesting concept though.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
The problem with velcro is that over time it wears out when the hooks and eyes become worn and knackered which when this happens means either unstitching and restitching a new lot of velcro to both underblanket and hammock or making a new underblanket AND buying a new hammock so the shock cord to me is the clear winner because it can easily be replaced if needed though I doubt it ever would.

Not to dismiss velcro totally though I have thought maybe a small strip either end just to seal the ends together vertically making the shape into a sort of ships hull if you can understand that.

As regards thickness that is so subjective when you factor in things like the materials used, ambient temperature and season, how warm you sleep naturally. I can say however the sleeping bag I used seems to be spot on. It is a poly inner with nylon shell plus the DPM poly outer covering.

How do I know it's spot on? Well, as it was up anyway, it would have been rude not to ;)

ub08.jpg

This was about 1 hour ago when my missus kindly came out with a hot Bovril for me and took my picture :D

I slept well for an semi-urban setting. The odd dog barking and plane passing low roused me but the cold didn't bother me at all and according to the met office the temp went down to 4.9 which feels a lot colder when you do wake up because of it. I used a thermarest type mat directly beneath me and my faux-fur bed throw on top. I was dressed in jeans (I know but I was only in the garden), T shirt, karrimore mid fleece and my big yeti outerfleece.

Thanks for all your comments guys.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Ah so basically you want the under blanket to be touching the bottom of the hammock, but not compressed?
Thats the idea!

Not to dismiss velcro totally though I have thought maybe a small strip either end just to seal the ends together vertically making the shape into a sort of ships hull if you can understand that.
Fully agree Matt,
It is very useful stuff and your idea to create a "hull" is a very good one, I might be pinching that one in the future.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Thats the idea!

Fully agree Matt,
It is very useful stuff and your idea to create a "hull" is a very good one, I might be pinching that one in the future.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Ah ha. I shall get to work and steal your ideas.

Seriously though i'm glad it works Matt, gives those of us who resort to making our own kit.

Now were did i shove those cheap doss bags..........................

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE