Matching Scales

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
Hi - Just wondering what the preferred method of matching scales is amongst you folk. Do you place them so the blade is in between what would have been a solid block, or flip them so that the pattern/grain is similar when viewed from either side (does that make sense)?

Also, to what level of flatness do you finish the inside? I'm guessing there is a point at which too smooth is not good for adhesion.

Thanks

tel

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
YO! I have only finished three full tangs, but ive only taken the inside flat to 180 sanding on a pain of class to ensure as flat a surface as i can, as for the pattern I think it depends on the wood, the little nessy i put them opposing(flipped one side 180o) the DWC bushy i just cut a block and left the scales in the same orientaion as when i cut, and the WM1 was with a block of corrian so no need to think about it,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE