Fife
A few weeks back I picked up a couple of Martindale Machetes
And I re handled one of them with brown canvas micarta :D

P7050213.jpg

Original handle

P7050207.jpg

the micarta handle

P7310001.jpg

I decided to see if I could improve the original handle on my other one as a gift for a friend :D
If you look closely you can see Ive drilled out the middle rivet and Ive counter sunk each side of the handle so I can fit a cut down machine screw and nut below the surface of the handle

I repeated this for the other two rivets I also took the scales off and epoxied them on to the blade and put the machine screw on with epoxy to :rolleyes: I covered the recessed heads of the with epoxy to :rolleyes: I think its safe to say that the handles not coming of in a hurry ;)

P8090022.jpg

Shaped the handle down a lot once everything was dry

P8090023.jpg

its a nice comfy grip again :D

P8090028.jpg

you can see the difference from the Micarta handled one

P8090020.jpg

Made it a new set of clothes to :) its a lot tidier than the last sheath i made

Cheers Russ

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, didn't see this thread :D

Ahem !........as the chuffed to bits new owner I'm delighted to say it's now a far, far, better tool than it was :approve:
The handle has no hot spots anymore, no edges to blister me, yet is still a really secure grip.

The holster / sheath is just so sound :notworthy: doesn't scream, "Big Knife" but makes a reliably safe cover and carry...........besides, it looks good too :D

Basically Russ took a bog standard Martindale, which is a good tool, and made it into something very, very much more.
You get the idea I'm really happy with it ?? :)

cheers,
Toddy

Jul 19, 2009
Chandler, AZ
Next time, try mixing some glow powder with the epoxy. I've seen it done with firesteels, knives and other things. Makes it easier to find when you drop it at night. You can find commercial glow powder on ebay. The stuff I bought stays visible for 12+ hours. Hope it inspires!!!

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
gill and Barn Owl

I'm disappointed in your lack of confidence im me :(

wncranger good idea but im not likely to use them at night :D

cheers Russ

Gailainne

Life Member
Really nice bit of work there Russ, the original handle looks horrible, the micarta one and the reshaped wooden original looks like they will be a lot more comfortable in the hand. Well turned out sheaths as well, great fun ain't it :D

Cheers

Stephen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE