Marsh Samphire foraging

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Hi,
It's the season for Marsh Samphire picking. I took a group out today and they loved it. Great fun had by all. If you are thinking of having a try, I have made a short vid on how to ID, collect and cook Marsh Samphire:

[video=youtube;ZTmh8JNgPlo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTmh8JNgPlo[/video]

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Well timed video Leigh, great advice on using marshland and staying safe.:cool:
I went sea kayaking yesterday and collected some at high tide when I could access the little channels and reach it, (also no need to get out of the boat) had some with the braised lamb shanks Suzy got for dinner last night, goes very well with them too.:)

Here's a pic,
Samphire%2525201.jpg

Rob.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hmm, sitting on a beach cooking up some fresh fish, razor clams and squat lobsters with some samphire. Doesn't really get better. Some folk like it pickled but fresh and steamed is good too.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Gannel? Thats my local estuary.

What else is there? I go to Holywell bay but it seems a bit dull; mussels mostly. No razorclams and no prawns.

There is cliff samphire though.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Gannel? Thats my local estuary.

What else is there? I go to Holywell bay but it seems a bit dull; mussels mostly. No razorclams and no prawns.

There is cliff samphire though.

Don't know the area Tengu but you might be able to.catch some flatfish in the shallows? Always nice with samphire. Lots of seaweeds are edible (very few not really) and are tastey and darn good for you.
You can scoop.flatfish in.shallows with an improvised net and handle. Not sure of the legality of using a pointy stick to spear them on the shore but it can be done if you move fluidly through the shallows.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE