marked leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi guys,
just a question for you leather buffs out there. I've made a couple of pozi bags recently and i find that when i clamp the leather after wetting it and moulding it, the clamps leave a very dark impression on the leather that is very difficult to remove. is it because i'm using metal clamps, clamping too tight or is it just the type of leather (4mm cow).
Any ideas to remedy this or to remove the marks without sanding away half the leather.
Much obliged.
(i did post i picture or my latest a few months back but i can't remember where :confused: )

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
baggins said:
Hi guys,
just a question for you leather buffs out there. I've made a couple of pozi bags recently and i find that when i clamp the leather after wetting it and moulding it, the clamps leave a very dark impression on the leather that is very difficult to remove. is it because i'm using metal clamps, clamping too tight or is it just the type of leather (4mm cow).
Any ideas to remedy this or to remove the marks without sanding away half the leather.
Much obliged.
(i did post i picture or my latest a few months back but i can't remember where :confused: )

Sounds like the claps are tight - any pressure on wet leather will leave a mark... I wouldnt suggest sanding it out - the top layer is a different surface and if you remove it it will not be as smooth. Unfortunately I dont thin there is any way to remove them.
next time try putting thin slats of wood to spread the clamping pressure

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I've used a piece of thick dry veg-tan offcut in the past as a clamp liner - the offcut catches any dirt/oxidation from the clamps, and protects the real leather project inside.

Having said that, make sure you don't clamp too tightly, especially when wet, or you might permanently imprint the clamp shape :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE