Mark Hill SPB1+ blade.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Druss

Forager
Jul 28, 2013
Leeds
Picked up my new Mark Hill SPB1+ blade on Friday, a birthday present from the wife.
I just got the blade, no scales or sheath as i plan to make these myself. I have done a paracord wrap on it for now and really like the feel of it.

I took it out into miggy woods twice this weekend and was making feathersticks for a while, filling a carrier bag full for the fire at home. The next day i battoned a load of dead ash, pine, oak and some sycamore (I think). I only battoned about 12 thick branches in total but I was giving it a good whack. the weight and the feel of the blade are perfect. Stropped it when i got home on a leather belt and the edge has held perfectly and i split a load of off cuts into kindlind using it for about 2 hours, tapping the back of the knife with a piece of ash and twisting the blade, had no problems at all. Mark is a true craftsman and so far I haven't a bad word to say about the knife, it has more than lived up to my expectations.

I went for the 4mm thickness and single bevel edge. I have done a pre-wrap on the handle with some gutted paracord and then done what i have heard referred to as a Stryder Wrap, i don't know if there is another name for it. The back edge strikes a nice spark off of a rod too. Going out for a 2 nighter around the middle of the month so I am hoping to have the sheath made by then and i will really put it through its paces.

Mark is a lovelly guy and did me a good price for such a fine blade. even sold me some leather very cheap to make my sheath with. I'm going to try the paracord wrap for a while and see how I get on with it but may end up going back to Mark to get some scales done in the future. I saw some other knives he had made when I went to collect mine and the handle work was beautiful. Our lass now wants a knife made by Mark and I am planning on getting one for a gift when I go visit my pal in the Shetland Islands.

Best birthday present ever, i know most of you on here already know about Mark Hill Knives but for those who don't check him out here. www.markhillknives.com

Here are s few pics of the knife. I didn't take the camera to the woods with me but will film a video review when we go camping.

knife1001.jpg

knife1002.jpg

knife1003.jpg

knife1004.jpg

Thanks a lot Mark.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Nice review there and a very nice looking knife too. Seems almost a shame to wrap paracord around the handle - are you not tempted to have a bash at making your own wooden handle for it? Thanks for sharing :)

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Having handled one of these I'd say give it a go :)

Handle material can be as cheap or expensive as you want. Bolts or pins and lanyard tube if you want or not. It's fun to do. Also if you are planning to do it I'd do it before sheath so you know it fits. IMHO

But a stunning blade. Need to sort another myself sometime.

Druss

Forager
Jul 28, 2013
Leeds
Aye the plan is to have a go at a handle. I already have the gear to do it too thanks to a family member. Just thought I would try the paracord out for a bit first. I plan on having the knife for a very very long time so I imagine it will probably go through a few handles and a few sheaths. The paracord feels really good though I must admit.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
i like the paracord :)

i have a Guysep knecker witha paracord wrapped handle but it has also been covered / inpregnated with superglue and it's great.

Druss

Forager
Jul 28, 2013
Leeds
I was thinking the same thing myself, I'm looking around for a few different paracord wraps but can only seem to find the one i've used and one other basic one. The plan being to take the wrap off, clean oil and re-wrap every time I come back from a trip out with it. Hopefully getting better and quicker at the wraps as I go. I think I will end up with scales on it one day. The paracord feels really good at the moment but I haven't used it for long periods of time or with sweaty hands yet. I don't know if it will be bad for blisters.

If its a carbon blade be very careful of getting the paracord wet as you will rust out the tang underneath if you do get it wet take it off ASAP don't dry it on the blade

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE