mark hill eagle knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
So, after a year or so of admiration I finally got me an eagle from mark

First off one of marks quality pics

I know I'm biased but I think its the nicest looking eagle i'v seen so far

As for using it.....Well, its a knife made of subtleties is this
Mark has come up with a refreshing design here without resorting to making something different just for the sake of it.
Every bit of the knife has thought behind it and is very well executed

The handle for example. Look at the pics and it seems like just a plain simple design, nowt wrong in that mind
But when you grab hold of it it becomes obvious that there is a very definite design there....mark tells me it comes from getting
People to squeeze play-doh lol

The blade, again is a thing of subtle design
every grip and technique I used seemed to have a section of blade specifically for the purpose, brilliant!
The back of the blade has its subtitles too.....starting from the handle you've got the concave section for scraping bark,
Then the little hump is perfect for scraping up birch bark for tinder and such like, and then there's the high grind at the tip that scrapes a firesteel
Like nobody's business

I had a roughed out sycamore spoon blank laying about that i'd rejected a couple of months ago. fairly hard going but very little fatigue from that chunky handle and the blade performed perfectly.....and sheath of course

Bit of a try stick

That'll work

This really is a great knife folks....if ray mears had commissioned one of these years ago, a lot of bushcrafters would have better tools

So, thanks mark for making me this great knife it should become a trusty companion for many years......adam

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
That's a great bit of kit mate! I love the design and to be fair I'd agree and say it's probably the nicest eagle I've seen too, the scales are Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing! :)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
That's a great bit of kit mate! I love the design and to be fair I'd agree and say it's probably the nicest eagle I've seen too, the scales are Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing! :)

Cheers mate, I reckon you need one to go with your m.o.r.a and bushtool :D (bushtool is another on my list)

Looks like a cracking job well done by the both of you, loving the try stick :D

Cheers, the spoon and try stick were just quick jobs to put the blade shape through its paces....not gonna win any prizes lol

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Cheers mate, I reckon you need one to go with your m.o.r.a and bushtool :D (bushtool is another on my list)

Cheers, the spoon and try stick were just quick jobs to put the blade shape through its paces....not gonna win any prizes lol

I agree :D it'll not be the last knife I get from Mark that's for sure, same goes for Rob - the bushtool is smashing - well worth a place on the list (I think we have a 'list in comment mate :D)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Cameron, yeah the bushtool does just have something about it....a lovely knife

Few more pics

Comparison with few others

My EDC falky f1
Mora no1
And one from kristofish on here

Shpoon

Shroom

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Can I ask does the handle have a bit of a flair outwards towards the blade junction (unlike the tapering of the traditional coke bottle style grip) or am I imagining this from the pics

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Nice piccies mate! I may well have to use the shroom shot idea - looks great, I've never thought of that :).

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Can I ask does the handle have a bit of a flair outwards towards the blade junction (unlike the tapering of the traditional coke bottle style grip) or am I imagining this from the pics

Tried to post these pics at the time but photobucket was playing me up

As you can see it don't flare out...it simply doesn't taper down too much, I find loads of knives too thin here and they digs into the web between index finger and thumb causing discomfort/fatigue far sooner than it should

Last edited:

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Excellent pics, thanks for showing them. Have to agree whole heartedly with a lot of knives taper to quickly and are a little too narrow. Looks like a great knife in the hand and a great carver :D

pontyboy

Jul 24, 2014
south wales
I love the handle on my SPB2 that i received from Mark a couple of months ago.It looks so different from all the clones (perhaps worryingly so) and while the pictures appear to show little or no curves on the scales they are there and work brilliantly.
happy customer here. :cool:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Great Review, nice try stick. I'd struggle to put a perfect square hole in like that with my main user. Always been very impressed with Marks eagle design since he first posted it. Looks like a really great design.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE