marching to the beat of a different drum

Jun 8, 2010
Lincs
I brought a kit online recently to make myself an ancient style drum and was really pleased with the result considering it was my first attempt at this particular type of craft. In fact I enjoyed it that much that I want to repeat the process but this time I want to start from the very beginning, creating my own rawhide and such, I was wondering if there are any tutorials available and if I could enquire what kind of tools I will need

Uploaded with ImageShack.us] Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Jun 8, 2010
Lincs
She has a fairly versatile voice not overly deep but the hide is not as thick as another drum I was gifted with over 6 years ago :) when i refered to her tone as a voice when talking to a friend I got the strangest look but to me she sings beautifully and thank you. Also the beater was beaded by myself :) a woman of varied talents

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Nice.A very spiritual thing..Shes sings to you and to the animal kingdom and the ancestors.Ive had a go on one similar and it was a very deep voice..just beautiful.
A friend of mine made a Shamanic drum but about 3ft wide and 4ft tall!Truely boombastic!!
I would imagine the tools needed are a saw, drill, sandpaper, pegs and something to measure the angles and patience.I used to have a leaflet for courses to make one but ive lost it!

Jun 8, 2010
Lincs
thank you Eric, I've been and looked and think I have found a rawhide tutorial I can try and follow, just a case now of trying to find an available source of hides :)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
pet shops sell rawhide dog chews, and some of the really big ones (think 10 inches long) are made with one large piece stuffed with offcuts, soak in a bucket of water for a day or so and unroll.

Jun 8, 2010
Lincs
unfortunatly when the drums I am intending trying to craft are at least 13 inches in diameter I need a piece at least 19 inches in diameter

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Hi Song,
You'll find info on making bodhráns, traditional Gaelic drums, on the net.
Try http://www.ceolas.org/instruments/bodhran/making.shtml

The above link isn't pictorial but I'm sure there are such others.

ps; As an afterthought, here's a You Tube link from an Irish bodhrán maker. The Irish seem to have come into ownership of the brand but there are traditional Scottish makers and others in Gaelic regions in Europe. I once met a Spaniard from Galicia with a drum you'd be hard put to find a difference in. He also played the small pipes, a traditional Galician instrument and regularly attended the Bretagne Celtic music festivals.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2010
Lincs
thank you, I will look through the info later, to be honest had not considered a bodhrán as really like the look and feel of the drum I have made.

Tengu thank you for the suggestion but my aim is to make the rawhide myself if at all possible, so what I am looking for is a source of green hide :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE