Many, Many Mushrooms! (picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Took my wee girl out for a walk in the forest today, most of the fungus was just yards from the path...
didn't pick or touch anything as i have no idea whats what.

Just enjoyed taking some camera phone piccys! :D

302yvzc.jpg

dm2vyo.jpg

30kq2e1.jpg

29x82di.jpg

2nu2blw.jpg

how cool is this one :) (and most probably deadly, it looks mean!)
2wm0vpy.jpg

these where just odd?
2zpjtch.jpg

10xblu0.jpg

29ygumw.jpg

ih5l4w.jpg

one ants nest you dont want to tarp next to... :yikes:
51ztk.jpg

I have more, but i think thats enough for one day LoL!!

TBL.

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The first ones look like witches eggs. Another looks like amethyst deceiver, cools pictures :)

Never seen an ants nest my self :(

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Cheers :)

I've no doubt there where dozens of other type's further into the woodlands,
but i was limited to where i could walk...

Yeah, its hard to make out the scale, but the ant's nest was around 4 feet high, maybe 6 at the base. black ant's around 1.5cm long. they make these weird piles of pine needles- i assume to insulate the nest below during the autumn/winter.

there's probably hundreds of nests in the surrounding forests, but i've never seen one that big!

makes me 'ichy' just thinking LoL...

Might take a good walk around next week with a decent camera!

TBL.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Wood ants I believe. I had never really noticed them until one very wet walk in dunnerdale and we saw two reasonably close together at the side of a path/track near the edge of a pine wood. You can harvest them twice a year according to a RM programme I saw. Nice smell of formic acid I think if you do try it. Very easy to do but you do have to get your hands in. Like with nettles be brave I understand. Would never do it myself unless I had too.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I think they would be eating me, before i ate them LoL!

I'll try and get some clear shots next time, they are big bu@@ers...

TBL.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Thought i would share a few more pictures taken today...
the constant showers/sunshine in this area has seen the local woods florish with all things 'fungi' related!

2pza24m.jpg

2wdmvwx.jpg

ibjhvc.jpg

28u7ksw.jpg

fjlowg.jpg

e96c87.jpg

2e4hyr8.jpg

2q154s2.jpg

b80fn9.jpg

2e1gbxu.jpg

rh4mpz.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2010
Dartmoor
the top two of your second set are fly-agaric (sp?) afaik - not too toxic, but 'interesting' if you dont know whats coming (may send you 'beserk'!)... wise move staying well away unless your a 100% positive of what they are!.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
the top two of your second set are fly-agaric (sp?) afaik - not too toxic, but 'interesting' if you dont know whats coming (may send you 'beserk'!)... wise move staying well away unless your a 100% positive of what they are!.

I had a funny feeling they where.... I mistakenly kissed the face of god during my early twenties once, and boy did she give me a slap for it!

Wont be touching anything, so no worry's there. I just cant get over the variety and quantity i've stumbled across so far, the woods today where heaving with them :)

TBL.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Which wood was that? Some of those are of the 'don't even touch it" variety, others might well be tasty. I might fancy a look there myself. If you are interested I can show you a few mushroom ids, and which ones to avoid.

Aug 31, 2010
Dartmoor
I just cant get over the variety and quantity i've stumbled across so far, the woods today where heaving with them :)

although i can't really stand fungus, the Mrs loves it, and after seeing so many different ones whilst out on my travels i'll probably invest in a book to help avoid those 'dont even touch' variety - any recomendations folks?.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Inspired by this thread I went out mushrooming again today, and saw lots (I was collecting with the camera, mainly), including a few species I'd not seen before. Picked a couple of massive larch bolets though, as they were perfect and I couldn't resist. Bay boletes everywhere, and at least one Death Cap. Also got a lovely bit of birch that is now becoming a sort of drinking ladle.

A nice afternoon all round. Lasgarn wood, if you are interested, Big man.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Which wood was that? Some of those are of the 'don't even touch it" variety, others might well be tasty. I might fancy a look there myself. If you are interested I can show you a few mushroom ids, and which ones to avoid.

Sounds good buddy... First lot of pictures came from some forestry land near Devauden, Chepstow way.

Second came from about an acre of pivate woodland not more that 100 yards from me now.

I think the only visitiors it gets are me and some sheep! which may help the fungus.

Its heaving with fungi, you would be more than welcome to join me.

PM inbound.

TBL.

lipase

Sep 29, 2010
UK
From your first post
1. Looks like an earthball (poisonous) of some sort due to the tiny 'craters' on the skin although I could be looking at the photo wrong!
2. Is probably Sulphur Tuft (poisonous) but maybe they could be Brick Caps (which occur in tufts of fewer fruitbodies)
5. An Amanita (I can't tell which one from the photo)
6. An inkcap of some sort (some are edible, some are poisonous and atleast one flits between the two depending on whether they're consumed with alcohol or not).
7,8 and 9. Pestle puffball (edible)

From post #9:
1 and 2. Amanita muscaria
6. An earthball of some sort (my guess would be the Common Earthball but I don't know)
Fungi at the centre of photo 9. An Inkcap (My guess would be The Glistening Inkcap (edible but not worth eating due to taste and texture) but I don't know)

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
on a Bushcraft course an instructor (steve hanton) told me something very wise, "mushrooms can't harm you unless you digest them." so play with mushrooms excavate them and then to make sure that aren't harmed wash your hands after

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE