Manufacturers on BCUK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
I've noticed in the last couple of days that there seem to be more people on the forum that are manufacturers of equipment used for bushcraft. Robbie Roberson - Sog Rvolver and Scott Reiner - Trangia clikstand, for example. There may be more lurking I'm sure

I think it's good to see that manufacturers are coming to the places where they can talk to the people that use their products and learn what we require direct from the horses mouth. Maybe it's a sign that bushcraft is being taken a lot more seriously than before. My one initial concern was that they may try to turn this forum into an advertising pitch, but I'm sure the moderators have got their eyes peeled for any nefarious dealings :cop:
But to their credit, all I've seen are questions being answered and offers of supprt and advice :respekt: Let's keep it that way :wink:
You never know, we might even be able to negotiate a discount on their stock for our consultation fees

What do you think of manufacturers on the forum?

Cheers,

martin

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
What was great was Robbie Robertson coming and being completely helpful, sympathetic, and polite. Despite some negetive comments on his knife. He wasn't offended and just helped with further questions. Spot on!

jakunen

Native
I think its a fantastic thing.

Not only does it show that we're being taken seriously, but it may lead to more products being designed and manufactured that are exactly what we want, not just what some guys who makes things decides we want.

If we get more, or those already here think it may be useful, why don't we get a new section for kit design discussions so that they know EXACTLY what we want (but can't seem to find already in the market) and it would be a place to for them to discuss potential projects to see if we are actually interested in yet another new gadget knife that'll cut down trees, get boy scouts out of horses hooves, open bottles, pluck your eyebrows...

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Jake Rollnick said:
What was great was Robbie Robertson coming and being completely helpful, sympathetic, and polite. Despite some negetive comments on his knife. He wasn't offended and just helped with further questions. Spot on!

I agree Jake. I was a bit scathing about the Sog revolver although I have only seen pics (just seemed unworkable to me) But reading Robbie's reviews etc gave me pause for thought, as well as him being polite, informative and helpful. :super:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
We've got quite a few manufacturers as members, they were some of the earliest members and even though they don't say a lot they keep an eye on the place :wink:

As you say shinobi there is a risk of the manufacturers/dealers etc trying to take advantage but for the most part they're highly respectful of the rules and regs we've got here. :super:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
My one initial concern was that they may try to turn this forum into an advertising pitch,
Thats why we have such strict rules on advertising, we don't want the forums to turn into a 'free adds' column, though if they hae anything interesting for our members (special offer etc) they can always contact Tony and arrange something with him.

Ed

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
We have someone who makes kydex sheaths IIRC, Joe from ODS is here but doesn't post much. I'm sure some of the makers on BB keep an eye on the knives at least. We also have a few staff from outdoor shops around who chip in with information on kit (bushblade springs to mind)

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Hmmm, peculiar, If you put in cliKstand as its brandnamed, then we don't come up, inspite of that being the spelling on your review. But if you put in CliCKstand we do. I'll never figure out how these things work.
I See Gary has got them already then, he was quick off the mark.

I also think its great to have manufacturers on here. Its good to get direct feedback from the users a product. That way it can evolve, and any changes need can get made for the MK2 version.
I am also amazed at the number of people who make bits of there own kit, or customize it themselves. The skill level of some of our members is quite remarkable. So it wouldn't surprise me if some manufacturers keep an eye on what we come up with.

Cheers
Rich

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
I'm all in favor. If a manufacturer takes the trouble to watch the sight and pick up user feedback on what products are wanted, how they are used and could be improved, then good for them. If they help us by providing good information too, that's even better.

As they say - people buy from people. Earning respect is a good way to win customers.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I've noticed in the last couple of days that there seem to be more people on the forum that are manufacturers of equipment used for bushcraft. Robbie Roberson - Sog Rvolver

That being the case I'd like to take this opportunity to say how much I have enjoyed "Somewhere Down The Crazy River".... Great tune.

Robbie Roberson

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Tennessee, U.S.A.
I would like to comment on the above statements if I may. You guys and gals are a great bunch of people. I am no different than you, I just happened to get an idea for a knife and was lucky enough to get a company to make it. I appeciate the chance to tell you about new ideas or changes to the Revolver series. And most of all I appeciate people giving me suggestions for new blade designs that could help them in their outdoor activities. I am including a link that I think you will enjoy, I think it is an inspiring story of how the Revolver idea started. Please contact me any time, I would be glad to hear from you.

http://www.thedailytimes.com/sited/story/html/170864

Robbie Roberson :wink:

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Its good to see the manufacturers taking the time out to post. Over on Airgunbbs, only a handful of Manufacturers and shops actually post, although we know they all lurk, and on scoobynet, again a few suppliers post, but 90% of all dealerships lurk. Things like these forums can make or break a companies reputation, and posting a reply to problems with kit is a good start to good customer service (hint).

An example, Hayward and Scott make perforamce exhausts, they openly request for the use of peoples cars (ie volenteers) to perfect designs or sort problems out with R+D parts. The people who's cars get used always end up with a big thank you and a nice shiny bit on their car, and there is never a bad word said against them.

Maybe the mods could make a seperate section on here for the manufactures, so we could post what we would like to see made, and they could post what they have for testing. After all we are a usefull testing area for them (ie free) and we are their intended target audience.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE