Mandrake

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Anyone have a source of mandrake root? Need some for a herbal formulation. Will barter or swap stuff for it.

Cheers.

Sandsnakes

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
sandsnakes said:
Anyone have a source of mandrake root? Need some for a herbal formulation. Will barter or swap stuff for it.

Cheers.

Sandsnakes

NO!!! why have you put this in lovely grub?

Harry Potter is fiction, that means a lady made up the story and is not true.

Why do want it?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
xylaria said:

Why do want it?
Mandrake or Mandragora belonging to the nightshades family (Solanaceae). it's a real plant, :rolleyes:
It is legend that the mandrake plant grows under the Hang mans tree, where the dead shed their blood and seed. And the mandrake plant grows from that shedding.

xylaria

Tadpole said:
Mandrake or Mandragora belonging to the nightshades family (Solanaceae). it's a real plant, :rolleyes:
It is legend that the mandrake plant grows under the Hang mans tree, where the dead shed their blood and seed. And the mandrake plant grows from that shedding.

:lmao: :lmao: Boy that is really very very funny, your comments have really got me laughing in that scopoamine kind of way :lmao: :lmao:

Sandsnakes are asking about american mandrake podophyllum peltatum which is a cathartic or are you asking about a south european plant that was used to put poeple into death like trances?

Because if it is the later you will need to ask at another forum.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
xylaria said:
:lmao: :lmao: Boy that is really very very funny, your comments have really got me laughing in that scopoamine kind of way :lmao: :lmao:

Sandsnakes are asking about american mandrake podophyllum peltatum .
and you know this how???? :rolleyes:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
xylaria said:

Why do want it?
No need to be so offensive Xylaria. I'm sure a politely worded comment as to the properties of the plant in question would be both sufficient and more in keeping with the spirit of the forum

Red

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
Medicinal Action and Uses---The leaves are quite harmless and cooling, and have been used for ointments and other external application. Boiled in milk and used as a poultice, they were employed by Boerhaave as an application to indolent ulcers.

The fresh root operates very powerfully as an emetic and purgative. The dried bark of the root was used also as a rough emetic.

Mandrake was much used by the Ancients, who considered it an anodyne and soporific. In large doses it is said to excite delirium and madness. They used it for procuring rest and sleep in continued pain, also in melancholy, convulsions, rheumatic pains and scrofulous tumours. They mostly employed the bark of the root, either expressing the juice or infusing it in wine or water. The root finely scraped into a pulp and mixed with brandy was said to be efficacious in chronic rheumatism.

Source

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
I am not a harry potter fan! Neither do I want to kill, maim or drift off in a delerious state! I have a reason and it is for a friend with a keen sense of responsibility... oh yes, I require european not the usa plant.

So that endeth the matter.

Thanks for your many and varid comments.

S

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Tadpole said:

It is also alledged to scream when pulled up... ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE