Manchester anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

groundhog

May 25, 2005
Manchester
Hi Dave

I was a hiker and camper morphed into a fellwalker and wild camper and now due to not wanting to walk the distances anymore I tend to lurk in a wood and fiddle with twigs and string so I'm sliding into being a bushcrafter about 30 odd years all told

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Nice

I'm just getting back into it, did bits and bobs with my old man when i was a kid, including hunting rabbits with a rifle, his rule was if you shot it you had to gut and skin it. I think this was to make us appreciate the taking of a life rather than just pull th rigger with no consiquence.

I did a lot of cycling andcamping when youger and im slowly getting back into it, but its hard as im not on the best condition any more (too many beers and fags) but quit smoking now and want to get fit again!!

Dave

G

grayclose31

im from wigan , not far.

ive heard of these middlewood meets they sound great , i think there at worsley in manchester.

i go im my local woods with a small tent , its great

I am in Wigan too. This is my first post on here so here goes.The meet in Manchester sounds great.

I have stayed out about 10 times now and it's all self taught. Me and my son love it. We are off to the lakes again this weekend for a quick night out.

Can't beat the sound of rain on a tarp!!!! it's ace.

mikewilkinson

Apr 28, 2010
Blackrod, Bolton
I'm not too far from you Morrolan, I'm in Blackrod. You find that in most places the woods have been trampled by dog walkers at some stage or another. I find the best places around here are just of the normal beaten tracks, where most of the general folk turn back before getting to far out onto the moors. Anyone seeing you past here probably wouldn't care what your upto providing your not being a Yob and leaving beer cans everywhere. The best places are around the Rivington reservoirs, particulary around Yarrow and Anglezarke. Lead mines clough has a few nice secluded areas that are little gems for foraging and a bit of wilderness camping. I've found wood sorrel, golden leaved saxifrage, hedge garlic& bittercress to name but a few of the goodies up there, plenty of variety in trees too, Oak, ASh, Birch, Beech, Pine...

Another good spot is a little further out towards Darwen near Tockholes plantation, loads of camping opportunities about there, plus tons of bilberries for wine and jam!!

For a quick outing then Duxbury park and the Yarrow valley have some little snugs that are infrequently visited with plenty of places to camp out without being too disturbed (Plenty of Ramsons too!)

Aug 28, 2009
Lancashire
hey, another Wiganer here!!! Ive actually camped out in Haigh Hall when i first started bushcrafting. I find it quite difficult to find a totally suitable place to camp around here, i have to pick different places to suit my training needs, as in firelighting or cooking or practicing water filtration, or shelter building. I train in various places and just hope one day to find a perfect spot!!Down my local canal is usually a good place as i am left to my own devices

BarryG

Nomad
Oct 30, 2007
NorthWest England
From stockport myself, i also struggle with venues around here. Have to do it all cloak and dagger style to get the wild experience, and even then its touch and go wheather or not i have a fire!!!

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Why not try , this . I know it's a short distance but it gets you a base . Afaik you can have fires .
It's a nice area
Cheers , Trev .
P.S. , It's an hours drive , I assume you could bus it for a bit longer . But it gives you a base thats cheap and puts you in a position to explore ( you don't need a wood to take advantage of the area )

Last edited:

Jellytot

Apr 1, 2010
Manchester
I can't believe Maddave missed this one, we're south Manchester, not too far away from the airport, it really depends what you're after doing to be honest, I forage in my local park, a lot of intricate stuff like Dave does a lot of fire by friction stuff, has built a mini forge and had a go at knife making, this is generally done in our large back garden. Of course you have the ducks as an audience but they don't heckle too much...
Hammocking he and Spikey dapikey go up to Derbyshire for, theres the Middlewood meet ups too.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
I live in south manchester too!

Ive been wild camping for 15 years and I can tell you places to go are very limited. Once you find a spot treat it well as you will use it more and more. North west sucks for forrests with privacy, this weekend im heading north to find something new.

There is a nice scout camp in ashworth valley near haywood. Its in a nice valley. Problem is, locals go there to camp occasionally and leave the place trashed. Ive seen them burn matress' on camp fires, cut young trees and not use the wood, burn plastic etc... Its really upsetting to see. But its a very nice place to go for a day out and I highly recommend it. There is a scout camp right there and they have a massive fire pit, also highly recommend them for family camping etc..

glyn77

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2009
Salford
Howdy,

I'm Salford, just down the road from Middlewood, but since the bambino came along, I don't get any time to camp out - i've got another one due now as well, so I'll see you all in a few years :)

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
I'm close enough. Your only a stones throw from the Peaks, hop on the Hope Valley Line train, takes you through Edale, Castleton, Hathersage, some truly stunning walks all around.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I'm close enough. Your only a stones throw from the Peaks, hop on the Hope Valley Line train, takes you through Edale, Castleton, Hathersage, some truly stunning walks all around.

been for a few walks in the snake woodlands (off the pass) which i believe is on the edge of the peak district, also been up and around dovestones reservoir a couple of times but i am limited ATM as i cant navigate for toffee lol

I'm hoping to get out with a mate in the next couple of weeks who is a demon navigator apparently so i'll try to pick up a few tips!!

Dave

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
That's the main issue near me, it is a massive woodland BUT so full of paths you cant go 5 mins without bumping into someone. not really conducive to wild camping lol
we should keep this thread updated with any new walks, area's for camps and such

Thanks Dave

Im in stretford but from chorlton and have the same problem with woodland.

Echo

May 27, 2010
Manchester
I'm from Manchester, close to the airport and I find the areas near and around Chorlton and Sale water parks (You can walk between the two down the River Mersey) to be quite good for walks. Can't really do much bushcraft but there are a lot of birch trees, and quite a few blackberry bushes. Quite a good walk, one I have done far too many times however!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE