Malaria. Prevention or cure?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
I've read some pretty worrying reports of side effects associated with the drugs "Chloraquine" and "Proguamil" which are used to prevent malaria. Figures like one in five suffering from mood swings, anorexia and insomnia along with one in ten thousand suffering long term problems with mental health and loss of sight. :yikes:

On the other hand, contracting malaria is even more unpleasant... :rolleyes:

I'm in two minds whether to take the tablets, which don't guarantee you won't contract malaria, or whether to take nothing and sign myself into hospital for treatment if I do contract the disease. :dunno:

Any thoughts? :confused:

N

Nordic Viking

When I was in the Army we had to take Malaria tablets once a week. They tasted awful but no noticeable side-effects. :yikes:

One thing I can tell you is, if you do contract Malaria, the cure is worse than the disease :D

CamperPete

Oct 2, 2006
Blackpool, Lancs
Oddly enough we were talking about this yesterday. I've just come back from a stint in Saudi Arabia and we were talking about what injections/drugs you needed for different parts of the world. One of my friends goes to Africa twice a year and he and friends wait until they arrive in Africa and get the drugs locally, he says they don't get any side affects and puts it down to the different dosage locally as opposed to the stuff you get in the UK........but I've not tried myself and ain't no expert but it's food for thought.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Start taking the prophylaxis before you go.If you suffer unpleasant side effects there will be a chance to try another type.

Malaria is a killer.Don't take chances by doing without prevention. :yikes:

BTW,if you are taken poorly when you return,don't forget to tell your Dr. that you have been in a risk area.Most UK malaria deaths are caused by late or missed diagnosis . :(

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i think ray mears said that he uses a mosquito net, sprays himself with a high percentage deet spray and takes anti malaria tablets
leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've used Chloraquine and Larium, not at the same time you understand, and i didn't suffer any side effects at all. Also, I never saw any side effects in others, but the Larium gave my mate vivid dreams of attractive antipodean women and it gave me a permanently itchy head! I think I got done in that deal!!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Have you read the side affects possibilities list on a packet of paracetamol or come to think of it any pain killers or anti-biotics ?

Just about the same side affects mentioned ;) and more :rolleyes:

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
A doctor friend showed me an article in 'The Lancet' some years ago on the rise of malaria in western holiday-makers. Many had failed to take the available drugs when they went to areas in the world where malaria is transmitted. This was partially due to not being properly informed on the very high risk and never having seen the effects of the disease. It is something I have not forgotten.
Swyn.

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
The pills might help reduce the chances of you getting it, but you have to use good bug spray and a net as a minimum as well. A lot of people will treat clothes and nets etc as well.....good advice if you ask me.

Have a good chat with your GP or Travel Clinic Nurse and if you are not happy with the advice then talk to one of the Travel Advice Centres to make sure that the advice given is correct.

Start taking the meds well before your trip (so you can switch if you need to) and make sure that you continue for the specified time. The advice about making sure that you get the GP to check out any symptoms that you may feel after your return is vital. Unless your GP knows that you have been in a risk area then he will concentrate on other possible causes.

Buying meds in country also comes with its own risks. In any case, you should probably have started your course before you travel.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I had to take a course of Lariam before a trip to Kenya, never got to go in the end :( , I had some bad mood/character changes. I have embarrassed myself quite a few times after drinking but when I took the Larium it was the first time( that I remember :eek: ) that i was ashamed of myself. I beleive there was a few "behaviour" problems on the trip too especially on the evenings the lariam was taken, but as this was a Friday it may be other causes.
I, personally, would choose another type of anti malarial drug if the need ever arose again.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Tengu said:
Why not avoid areas in which it is found?

Sometimes you don't know what areas it will be in and other times due to work commitments you may have no choice but to go there.

I took them in the TA and had no problem with them, however, I took a different type while on holiday and had very bad side effects....so it's worth changing if you're not gettign on with the ones you have.
As said it's also important to start taking them early and when you get there really isn't early enough, what if you're bitten the first day? You also need to keep taking them for a while after you get back.

The side effects can be pretty horrid but iifc Maleria is the biggest killer in the world...worse then fags and drugs and murder and all that....i.e. it's not something to be brushed aside lightly.

Hope that helps,

Bam. :)

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
havingagiraffe said:
I've read some pretty worrying reports of side effects associated with the drugs "Chloraquine" and "Proguamil" which are used to prevent malaria. Figures like one in five suffering from mood swings, anorexia and insomnia along with one in ten thousand suffering long term problems with mental health and loss of sight. :yikes:

On the other hand, contracting malaria is even more unpleasant... :rolleyes:

I'm in two minds whether to take the tablets, which don't guarantee you won't contract malaria, or whether to take nothing and sign myself into hospital for treatment if I do contract the disease. :dunno:

Any thoughts? :confused:

Hi, Raffy.
I take it that you,re planning on going someplace malarial, pretty soon.
Ask your GP, and also, find out from the www all that you can about your area, as some malarial mossies, in some areas, have become immune to certain prophylaxis.

Most recently I have used Malerone, only because it was known to be highly effective in that area. (Thank Gawd I wasnt paying for it).

I,m just a bit concerned about the ".....or take nothing and sign myself into hospital"......sure, they , and clinics can make a diagnosis, they do it all the time.

The thing is, I have first hand experience that tells me it is so very easy to poo-poo away, the early symptoms, particularly if you pride yourself on being hale and hearty...........
And, even knowing what to look out for, cos youve been digesting all the facts, it could become a , "Och its just a bit cold/ bad beer/too much Condor/too much execise/general lassitude."
I wouldn,t dream of giving you advice, fellah, but please think it through again.

Ceeg

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
Thanks for the sound advice chaps. :You_Rock_

I'll start the course tomorrow (eleven days before departure) and if they make me ill I'll either stop taking them and try something elso or gamble on going unprotected.

I'm never going to be far from a hospital, so I can afford to be a bit more cavalier than if I was wandering off in the middle of nowhere.

I don't think I'll suffer from any side effects. Morphine made me a bit queasy, but apart from that I've never had any problems with prescription pills and potions. It was just the one in five statistic that concerned me... :eek:

The most common side effects of mood swings, upset tummy, loss of appetite :tapedshut , insomnia etc could probably be put down to the excitement :red: (or fear :yikes: ) of being in a strange country rather than the drugs.

Just as errecting an umbrella doesn't make it rain, even though statistically, if one is sheltering under an umbrella there's a fair chance that there's water falling from the sky. :umbrella:

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Malaria doesn't work that way, iirc the effects take time to show, the damage and the effects are long term.
It is caused by a parasite carried by mossies, it grows inside you (just had an alien flashback :eek: ) and when it (or its descendants)wants to move on it causes the effects of the disease. You get a fever, you sweat, you shake and breathe deep. I always thought it would get on better if it didnt make the host ill, but the reason symptons happen is being sweaty and hot attracts more mosquitos so they come take a drink and move the parasites to a new host! :yikes: Really clever little bug this one, but remember it kills more people around the world more than anything else!!!!!!!
It is not a case of getting a bite and getting ill, the effects can take weeks or months to show, when the parasite is rife through the body.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE