Malanika chopper in Vanadis 4E or in CPM 4v?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mimozine

Jan 26, 2021
north yorkshire
i thought they were basically the same steel, just made by different companies?
they are tool steels and will rust if you dont take good care of them

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I have a bit of Vanadis 4E on a Rasul. Seems pretty indestructible, so I'll vote for that

Does stain/rust/patinate as mimozine says.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I have a bit of Vanadis 4E on a Rasul. Seems pretty indestructible, so I'll vote for that

Does stain/rust/patinate as mimozine says.
Rasul is Vanadis 23, similar to M3 high-speed tool steel. Vanadis 23 is a harder steel, while Vanadis 4 is stronger. So yes Vanadis 4 is similar to CPM 3V / 4V.

Any recommendations? I know the steels are similar.
I would choose vanadis 4, if I was going to choose between those two

If you wanted to possibly go away from the Malanika chopper, I would go CPM 3V, more of it out there so more choice in design, and as it is not quite as exotic as other highend steels, it is not as expensive.

As for design, I really like the Bark River Canadian camp 2, fits my idea of the perfect large camp knife, before you start getting into machete territory.

Last edited:
Reactions: Billy-o

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
Cheers everyone, as long as they’re basically the same steel I suppose it doesn’t matter. Thanks for the help, I’ll be aware of the potential staining/rusting.

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
I ended up getting the Malanika Chopper in 4V with a jade green micarta handle. I think it’s just jumped over everything else I own and is now my favourite knife. The quality is unbelievable and dealing with Danijel was very easy, I can’t recommend him enough.

Reactions: Dm1995

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE