Making your own REAL Jerven Bag...?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Is it worth doing?

I came across a link in the Jerven webshop, here

Translated:
Our unique camouflage fabric, as used in mountain fabric. Given prices are for one.
Length meters, a width
150 cm. (100cmx150cm)
SEW YOURSELF! Now you can customize products according to
your needs ...

So the Jerven material can be bought seperately, and is just £40 for 300cmx200cm.

What do you think? Is it doable?

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Is it the original one which is just the material? And wasnt there one with a removable liner? [Which some people preferred]

The warmer ones come with a primaloft padding. They are more expensive.

I think this is the same material the original one is made from. Just the windproof/waterproof outer with the reflective material on the inside but without the padding.

Anyone know?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Dave, there are at least three types - just the bag with no insulation, bag plust fixed insulation, and bag plus detachable insulation.

There's no need for taping seams as there aren't any in a Jerven bag, it just has three long zips along the edges and a couple of small zips for arm holes. You could do without the arm holes but I find them very useful, they add a lot of flexibility.

Making one might be worth a try, but I don't know how easily you can get the zips. They're on a par with the zips on a lot of military kit.

Fantastic bit of kit.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I could very well be wrong but logic suggests it wont be the same - its more than double the material you get in the original bag for a fraction of the price

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
How is the detachable insulation attached?

What form does the insulation take? Is it something like Thinsulate in a polycotton shell?

The zips wouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
What's so good about the materials?

Dunno Liam. Never seen one up close. Popular though.

Dave, there are at least three types - just the bag with no insulation, bag plust fixed insulation, and bag plus detachable insulation.

There's no need for taping seams as there aren't any in a Jerven bag, it just has three long zips along the edges and a couple of small zips for arm holes. You could do without the arm holes but I find them very useful, they add a lot of flexibility.

Making one might be worth a try, but I don't know how easily you can get the zips. They're on a par with the zips on a lot of military kit.

Fantastic bit of kit.

Thats handy to know. Thanks. I was gonna ask if anyone had a pattern, or a design etc.

I could very well be wrong but logic suggests it wont be the same - its more than double the material you get in the original bag for a fraction of the price

You could be right. Could send an email, but its the kinda thing which would get lost in translation. It could just be that most of the price of the bag is in the labour costs. I really dont know.

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire

A piece of the fabric 300cm x 200cm would make a bag of 150cm x 200cm, which is roughly the size of the Thermo King Size bag.

It is a good price.

Last edited:
Labour costs and developing the material I believe.

The insulation is similar to a poncho liner
It zips in so there are two zips besides each other on the three sides.
Plus zips aligned with the arm holes.

In truth and now I am gonna be hounded for sayin it I think they are over kill for UK temps. Nice kit very Gucci but more suited to ridiculously cold environment s

Course if someone gave me inequality I wouldnt say no.
Material looks good for a winter tarp. Built in reflector

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Does it have to be in the same colour as the Jervens bag.
There was a thread started by BareThrills about a custom jervens footprint.
From what I recall he sourced some material very similar with a reflective inner coating. This could be made into a similar thing by adding an insulating layer.

This material as the jervens is waterproof but not breathable.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I have been toying with using one of the 'original' space blankets for a DIY Jerven bag. Just haven't got round to it yet.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I think this Norwegian Bushcrafter has bought some to make into a wilderness camp chair.

See the subtitles at 2:38 Says he bought the fabric from Jerven, and it has a reflective inner.

[video=youtube;ELpBp5YQK0M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELpBp5YQK0M[/video]

Last edited:

drliamski

Sep 11, 2006
East London
Thanks Dave.
People rave about them so must be a bit of a bushy grail!
Wonder how breathable compared to goretex or army mvp?

Sent from my ST21i using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE