Making your own "Bushy" Course ? Info required.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spartan

Forager
Jun 5, 2010
Deepest Darkest Derbyshire
Hi All,

Wasn't sure whether to put this in this sub forum or the diy/trad skills forum.

I'm considering going on one of the knife manufacturing weeks I've seen advertised on here and was wondering if anyone had participated in one.

I've had a hankering for making a Bushcraft knife completely from scratch for a while and have finally come to terms with the fact that I'm never going to be able to build a furnace and forge in the back garden :).

So I think one of the courses seems imminent, anyone have any feedback ?

Cheers, Sp

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I did a one-day course with my friend, who is a blacksmith, to make a blade for myself. It was a bit clunky but worked for the intended purpose (field archery arrow extraction mainly :)), where i needed a virtually unbreakable blade. I handled it myself at home some time after the making of the blade. It is still fine, sharp enough and unbroken, despite my best efforts. I am now lining up an adze making day with the same guy, as I dont have one and think that one would be very handy to use with my bowmaking and other carpentry works.

The other alternative, if you are not worried about making every single piece yourself, is to handle a blade yourself from a supplier such as Brisa (they are very good), which is something I have also done, and that gave me a lot of satisfaction. In fact I have done that a few times now :).

Of course in the end it depends upon your outlook: if you want to have a knife in which you have overall control of the design, and have made every single part, and finish it to a high standard, then the full week's course might be a good option. I must admit that would be very satisfying, but of course it would be expensive in time off and cash. But there are other eways to the same end.......

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
There's nothing quite like learning from a real craftsman.
As a deliverer and a consumer of courses I would say they are always worth the investment of time and money if you choose wisely.
Do a bit of research online (as you are doing) and contact the teacher directly by phone if you can to discuss your preferences and requirements.
Get the best man for the job.No offence to bob's blacksmith mate, but I would opt for a bladesmith if you want to do yourself justice.
I haven't yet forged a knife but did have a weekend with Dave Budd forging an axe.I would recommend Dave's courses to anyone.His enthusiasm is infectious and his technical ability is legendary on this forum and others.I wish I'd had time to go on the recently advertised axe/knife week course but afraid work got in the way.
My advice: go for it.Knowledge is the thing most valuable.
Cheers, Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE