Making Stuff sacks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
All,
I want to try and make some stuff sacks.
Some for stoves/cook sets, and some for things like clothes and sleeping/tarp setups etc.
I am not sure what material to use for these.
Any ideas? It would be great to make some out of leather, but lets start simple lol.
Alan

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
For clothes etc. I'd use ripstop nylon but for cooksets that are likely to be hot/dirty then I'd use natural fibres - like cotton or thin canvas

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
leathers great for the more traditional look mate. you can easily pick up a couple leather jackets from a charity shop or car boot. :)

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
There's any number of tutorials for this on the web; some are better than others. Here is one I like.

To begin with I find it's easier to use an octagon as the base, it makes the measuring and marking much easier and you're sewing straight lines rather than easing the fabric round a curve. Snip the edge of the side fabric to the sewing line where the direction changes.

Proofed ripstop nylon makes good, durable, light bags but can be a bit slippery and awkward to sew. Start off with cotton or polycotton fabric.

Big Si

Dec 27, 2005
nottinghamshire
There's any number of tutorials for this on the web; some are better than others. Here is one I like.

To begin with I find it's easier to use an octagon as the base, it makes the measuring and marking much easier and you're sewing straight lines rather than easing the fabric round a curve. Snip the edge of the side fabric to the sewing line where the direction changes.

Proofed ripstop nylon makes good, durable, light bags but can be a bit slippery and awkward to sew. Start off with cotton or polycotton fabric.

Follow Ian's advice mate, you won't go far wrong.

Si

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Hi Alan.

Have a visit to your local dump/civic amenity skips. There's usually an old leather settee kicking about. Cut out the back as it's nice and clean and unworn.
Or if you see one outside a house ready to go to the dump just ask!! (wife cringes at that bit)

I've started sewing small pouches by making a tube for the sides. I use evo-stick for the joints.

Then use this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlCd6rvdNnI

for working out the base. I mark the starting point on the base and just hold it in place to the side starting at the seem. Work round to check the size is right. If the mark ends up on the seem where you started then its the right size. If not just trim a bit off all the way round. Then glue and stitch.

I managed to break my wife's cheapo singer from Aldi so I bought a 1953 Singer 201k for £50. Using a leather needle makes a huge difference. If the motor doesn't turn it I turn by hand.

Hope that makes sense and helps.
002 (600x294).jpg003 (600x431).jpg

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
The charity shops down my way have a very poor attitude and like to chagre £20-£40 for leather jackets, regardless of quality/style. So if it were me and I wanted leather I buy a ladies handbag that they sell for about £3, they usually have thin leather but it'll be good enough to make pouches and maybe a stuff sack.

Failing that you could use the leg off of a pair of jeans. Just cut one off, stitch seal the bottom and lace the top end!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I agree with Samon - trouser legs make for great little sacks for stoves, cooksets etc............I'm still using some I made 20 or more years ago, and when they get wet/sooty/foody dirty, just wash 'em........atb mac

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
All great ideas! Many thanks.
Having the 'day from hell' at just now so will 're-read' this lot tonight
Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE