Making Moccasins

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Grimnir said:
could you tell me where you got your pattern? I've been making a set of turnshoes, will post pics when done :) but I would like to do a set of moccs. Is there a reason you didn't use veg-tan? Wet it and its easier to turn - I used it fro the soles on my turnshoes and it turned impossible into doable :)
Grim,
What's a pair of turnshoes?

Mark

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Grimnir said:
could you tell me where you got your pattern? I've been making a set of turnshoes, will post pics when done :) but I would like to do a set of moccs. Is there a reason you didn't use veg-tan? Wet it and its easier to turn - I used it fro the soles on my turnshoes and it turned impossible into doable :)

Grimnir,
Leon made the pattern of the moccs himself. Basically by using the circumference of your foot and 8 other measurements (several heights) and adding some extra centimeters for a better fit, etc.
IIRC he used an excisting pattern but changed it to his own liking - and altered something on the the way you come to the pattern by using the several measurements (his one is easier).

But I think Leon can explain it better ;)
Maybe he posts some more info on "How to" ... :confused: :p

Buckshot said:
Grim,
What's a pair of turnshoes?

Mark

Mark, if you don't mind me answering the question ;)
Turnshoes are a Medieval kind of shoes.
That probably doesn't help much, so here are some pics:
http://images.google.nl/images?hl=nl&q=turnshoe&sa=N&tab=wi
;)

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
Stuart said:
you can get the leather lacing from tandy I think

use McNett freesole on the soles, it gives them a transparant rubber coating, buckshot did it on his and they look great

Cool tip Stuart just the stuff I have been looking for :You_Rock_

Grimnir

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
Northants
Yep, a turnshoe is a generic term for the shoes made during the Dark Ages and Medieval times. The uppers were sewn to the soles inside out then turned right way up, putting the seams on the inside.

Thanks Ahjno :)

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Thanks guys :You_Rock_

I'm in the process of making a pair of Leon's moccs at the moment.
They've stalled a bit though as I've got loads of other projects to do.
Hopefully they're be ready for the moot ..... but time is ticking away.

Mark

leon-1

sorry guys, have been away rather a lot recently, I am keeping a bit busy at the moment.

The original set that were made in this picture were Keltoi Moccs, the pattern is available from Yatahai as it is made by Sparrowhawk publishing and Sparrowhawk runs yatahai.

Ahjno is quite correct I have made a fair few changes since then and have made a design based around it (Ahjno saw the latest set up on Dartmoor).

The reason I used the chrome tanned deerskin was that these are woodlands moccs instead of plains moccasins, the plains moccs have soling that is made from rawhide where you can use Veg Tan as a substitute, this is due to the stony and thorny nature of the plains areas. Woodlands moccs tend to have soft soles as they were better for stalking in the woods on twigs sticks and leaves.

The latest set are made from brain tanned moose hide, they are very grubby after a week on Dartmoor and using them near the the camp fire (I can see how the blackfeet allegedly got thier name).

Thier is a tutorial for how to make the pattern that I use. I think that Tone was going to put it in the BCUK mag, but I may have missed the deadline. I am still putting finishing touches to the "this how you put the moccs together", but the one above is very similair so you could probably work it out from that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE