Making kinderling with froe

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I expect that people have al sorts of ways to prepare kinderling. I have always used a hatchet ever since I was 5 or 6 years old. Sometimes I use snedded branches and twigs if I have them. But I just started using a froe to do the job, and I have found it real easy, especially to get thin planks from logs. The froe is a beautifully simple tool. I took a few photos to show what I did.

Froe and mini maul (new handle now fitted Eric :) )
fire6.jpg

Splitting radially to get 1/2 inch planks
fire4.jpg

results of a few minutes work
fire3.jpg

Small axe to make sticks. Next time I might try a device I heard of where you use a handle with a nail spike to hold the planks with your left hand while you split with the axe in your right, so avoiding siced fingers but still you can work fast
fire2.jpg

About half an hour to get a sack full of good fine kinderling, much faster than before. Its also given me the urge to have a go at making some shingles :D

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Well I have been a looking for a traditional (not welded leaf spring) one since 1990 and finally got it only a couple of weeks ago :lmao: It is very well forged, solid. It looks like someone has used a steel lump hammer or similar on it, as you can see theres a fair bit of mushrooming. Dont know wether to tidy that up so as its parallel at the top edge. BUT it would mean ruining the pattina wouldnt it :rolleyes: :D What would you do? I firmly believe tools (old or otherwise) are for use, not to be put on show in some sort of shrine :lmao: How do you split your kinderling, I expect you do with a name like your's :)

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
Well I have been a looking for a traditional (not welded leaf spring) one since 1990 and finally got it only a couple of weeks ago :lmao: It is very well forged, solid. It looks like someone has used a steel lump hammer or similar on it, as you can see theres a fair bit of mushrooming. Dont know wether to tidy that up so as its parallel at the top edge. BUT it would mean ruining the pattina wouldnt it :rolleyes: :D What would you do? I firmly believe tools (old or otherwise) are for use, not to be put on show in some sort of shrine :lmao: How do you split your kinderling, I expect you do with a name like your's :)

I think you should leave it just as it is :rolleyes:

Personally I tend to use a billhook which has had the nose removed for splitting kindling. I agree with you about using a nailed stick to hold the piece you are cutting although I tend to use any stick within reach at the time.

It's scary watching people holding the wood they are axeing with the other hand :eek:

Where did you find the froe? I have been looking for ages for a quality old one.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I think you should leave it just as it is :rolleyes:

Personally I tend to use a billhook which has had the nose removed for splitting kindling. I agree with you about using a nailed stick to hold the piece you are cutting although I tend to use any stick within reach at the time.

It's scary watching people holding the wood they are axeing with the other hand :eek:

Where did you find the froe? I have been looking for ages for a quality old one.

Well I bought this one at Tony Murland's shop in Needham Market, Suffolk

http://www.antiquetools.co.uk/

When I went to the shop he had 4 good froes he brought in only a few days before. One was sold already, I got one, there was a massive 12 or 13 inch one, and another one prety much identical to mine (might even of been the same smith) except it was 5 or 6 inch blade, not 9 like mine. More like a swill basket maker's froe. Might be worth a call to see if they still have it? But I do know for sure they are as rare as rocking horse s###e :lmao: I knew it was a case of buy it now or lose out. Its not often I buy tools from shops, but it was too good to pass up :lmao: They seem to come up a lot on American ebay, but its dodgy not being able to get a look first. You need to see if the forge weld has cracked or begun to delaminate. Just keep looking and enquiring and you'll get a beauty eventually, I waited 17 years for mine :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE