Making flour from grasses

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lipase

Sep 29, 2010
UK
Hi everyone,

I was wondering about the procedure of making flour from Deschampsia cespitosa because I read about the fact that it is possible today in ray mears wild food book. Would the procedure be the same as with wheat or is there an extra husk on the outside? I was wondering whether the husk is actually edible or not?

Thanks for all the help you have all been giving; I ask a lot of questions... I don't have much knowledge I'm afraid.

Take care,

Jack

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This is the little seeded grass, the ancient woodland indicator species one ? Grows in shade ? Tiny seeds like sesame seed size, tastes like linseed ? wood millet ?

I just eat it. I have occasionally put a handful in a soup to boil. It thickens it up quite nicely.
The raw seeds taste kind of nutty linseed. Nice.
It'd need an awful lot to make flour I reckon.

cheers,
Toddy

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i was going to try this last year but never got round to it, i will be doing so at some point, but it will be very labour intensive to produce a small amount of flour....

chris......................................

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE