Making Beef Jerky

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nipper

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Hi all

Has anybody on the forum tried making beef jerky?

I quite fancied trying to make some, So I would be interested in any methods of preparing it and flavouring it.

Also, how long does it last before it goes off?

Hpoe someone can help!

Nick

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
do you want jerky, or biltong? There are a number of places on the internet that tell you about seasoning biltong. Hoodoo's tutorial, which I can't find right now :( makes the huge leap of using your oven, over night, on very low heat with the door open a bit, to kick start the drying. Meat is threaded onto skewers and hung from an oven rack. An oven setting of about 150degF or 60degC or so will really speed things. Many biltong makers take all week to dry their meat, and mould can be a real danger. The oven gets over that.

nipper

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I can't find hoodoo's tutorial, anybody help!

Also, what is the differerence between jerky and biltong?

Nick

nipper

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Thanks Hoodoo

You beat me too it! Typing was never my strong point.

Is there any heath risks associated with cooking meat in this way?

Nick

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Is there any heath risks associated with cooking meat in this way?

Well, the meat isn't cooked, so in a way "NO" hehehe :D Provided that the meat came from a healthy animal and you have handled it in such a way that it isn't rotting, it should be fine. I have have eaten both beef and venison prepared in that manner and am still here.

I take comfort in the thought that things like BSE aren't killed by cooking anyway, so simply drying the meat makes no difference :D

StormWalker

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 4, 2005
Mid-Wales
Nice cache Hoodoo,

Have you tried making jerky with any other meats other than beef and venison, If so what were the results? :)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Mark, the stuff that I made was more biltong like than jerky like, so not exactly the same. When dry enough that it snaps when you bend, and if kept that way, biltong will keep without refrigeration for a year plus. I bought a bit last June in Cardiff, its still good. My own batch got eaten far too fast for me to be able to say how long it would have lasted :rolleyes: but I have no doubt that it would last well. I have not had good luck with biltong that was still flexible, the moisture in the core seems to let it sweat and grow mould. Many web sites that give instructions for making biltong and jerky say you have to freeze it after making, which seems to me to miss the point of making it.

Make it dry, keep it dry, don't wrap in plastic, and its good for months on end.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Interesting, so would wrapping it in grease proof paper be better?
Thanks for info.
I think I've still got some venision at the bottom of the freezer :)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Buckshot said:
That jerky looks great Hoodoo. :)
How long is the shelf life? Does it need to be kept cool?

It lasts a long long time. I've eaten jerky a couple years old. :eek: Keeping it cool is a good idea. I keep mine stored in cotton sacks in my basement, which is cool year round.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
StormWalker said:
Nice cache Hoodoo,

Have you tried making jerky with any other meats other than beef and venison, If so what were the results? :)

I've made fish jerky before, which is pretty good stuff. I've dried cooked chicken for trail food in a dehydrator but have had mixed success with that. Seems to want to dry too hard to reconstitute. I've had better luck with roast beef.

StormWalker

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 4, 2005
Mid-Wales
Hoodoo said:
I've made fish jerky before, which is pretty good stuff. I've dried cooked chicken for trail food in a dehydrator but have had mixed success with that. Seems to want to dry too hard to reconstitute. I've had better luck with roast beef.

Cheers mate, I will have to give it a go. :)

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi Nick,

I had a go this weekend at following the thread Marcja posted. It worked brilliantly and is really tasty. Have a go, it’s not survival food, it’s everyday gorgeousness, and goes great with a beer ;o)

Andy

nipper

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 18, 2004
Wiltshire
AJB said:
Hi Nick,

I had a go this weekend at following the thread Marcja posted. It worked brilliantly and is really tasty. Have a go, it’s not survival food, it’s everyday gorgeousness, and goes great with a beer ;o)

Andy

What meat did you try it with?

Nick

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I do mine in the oven with a very simple marinade:

Good Soy base(like Kikkoman's)
a good dash of Worcestershire Sauce
some brown sugar (I use a ban-marrie to get the sugar to dissolve)
a good pinch of garlic salt
finally a good pinch of onion granules

Cannot be more precise as I mix in by eye and taste.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE