Making bags for carrying flour

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi folks
any advice on natual materials suitable for making bags for carrying flour and the best ways of sealing them before I start?

I don't want to use leather so I'm thinking of linen, cotton, silk even but from your experiance how close a weave does it need to be? Any advice greatly apreciated

ATB

Tom

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Hi folks
any advice on natual materials suitable for making bags for carrying flour and the best ways of sealing them before I start?

I don't want to use leather so I'm thinking of linen, cotton, silk even but from your experiance how close a weave does it need to be? Any advice greatly apreciated

ATB

Tom

Well, I use a leather pouch, inside of which is a plastic zip lock bag. Whether you use leather, linen, cotton or silk or whatever, that's just the outer bag - the flour is actually in a sealable placcy bag inside!

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
You don't need to seal flour bags/sacks as such. If they get wet or damp it happens automatically. The flour touching the material forms a 'crust' which prevents any further ingress of moisture.
As pwb suggests, a linen tea-towel would do the job nicely.

Last edited:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Hi Tom.It might be a thought to use a couple of strong paper (kraft type) bags inside your linen outer.
Paper is pretty good at keeping flour dry if you roll the tops down as long as it doesn't get too wet.What about a waxed cotton as an outer bag?
Cheers , Simon

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers for all the input folks. Looks like I'll be using the closest woven cotton/linen I've got made to fit tight over the wax paper bags I buy the stuff in. I'm only wanting to carry a pound or so at a time so I will be able to roll the top of the inner bag down to get a good seal.

May main concern isn't keeping it dry as such but to stop it leaking into my spare clothes etc which will be in the same bag.

ATb

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE