Making an Adze from a hammer head...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
As it was the Bank Holiday weekend, Silverhill and myself decided to make a day of it on Saturday. Blacksmithing in the morning, then an overnighter in our usual woodland spot.

I've posted the following article on my blog, but thought I'd share it here aswell, so here goes:

Its Bank Holiday weekend, and what better way to spend it than firing up the Forge and getting creative! As some of you may know, myself and my Bushcraft Buddy Steve (aka Silverhill) are quite crafty (in the hobby sense). Steve has been practicing the art of ‘Smithin for a couple of years now. What started off as humble beginnings with a relatively small forge and just a couple of tools, has now evolved into a very productive environment. As such, his skills keep evolving along with his tackle.
[h=3][/h] [h=3]About the Adze[/h] Traditional use of the adze is for removing bark and trimming or shaping timber. Authentic log builders, as well as traditional shipbuilders, make use of the adze. Artists and sculptors use various sizes of adzes for making totem poles, masks and bowls. Craftspeople who follow age-old customs use adzes for making barrel staves, forming chair seats and making bowls and troughs.
The earliest form of an adze was a rough rectangular piece of stone, ground to a pointy end. Later bronze and then iron replaced the crude stone blades. Use of the adze can be traced throughout history from the Middle Stone Age in Europe, to the third millennium B.C. in Egypt, to the Maori in New Zealand and the northwest American Indians in pre-colonial times. The sawmill has replaced the adze for its traditional use, but thanks to specialized craftspeople, the adze has held its own through time, still finding a place in the woodworker’s world today.
[h=3]Getting Started[/h] Our Adze was to be a small, handheld tool, and started its life as a small Ball Pein Hammer Head. Now, I don’t profess to know a jot about Blacksmithing – that’s Steve’s area of expertise, so what I’m going to do, is simply explain the rough process of how we made ours, and hopefully you’ll find the process as rewarding as we did!
The first image below shows Steve’s blacksmithing area, forge, and some tools. The second image shows his smaller Forge that we actually used. The reason for using this smaller, gas powered one, instead of the traditional Coke powered one is simply this – it is far easier to control the temperature of the workpiece, and avoid overheating (and potentially ruining the thing…)

050512-003.jpg050512-006.jpg

The first step was to get the hammer head heated to a suitable operating temperature – in this case, a nice bright orange. There are some other bits in the forge too – these were little sideline ideas we could work on in between ‘heats’ of our Adze.
[h=3]Flattening[/h] Now comes the start of the interesting bit – getting the relatively square head into a thin, flat form. This was achieved by multiple ‘heats’ and while Steve held the workpiece in some tongs, I used ‘Big Bertha’ to keep striking it. We could only manage around 6-7 strikes before it needed reheating again.
The hardest part about this initial step was not getting it flat – that would come with perseverance – but trying to aim every blow in the same place on the anvil, and not the workpiece! It was Steve’s job to move the workpiece forward and backwards as I did the striking, and believe me, its not easy trying to strike in the same place when the workpiece is moving!!

050512-011.jpg050512-017.jpg

[h=3]Working the sides[/h] Once the initial flattening was nearly there, it was time to concentrate on working the edges, and in turn, working the flatness again as it would ‘mushroom’ over.

050512-023.jpg

[h=3]Creating the ‘Bill’[/h] The whole process is a very fluid one, and trying to write a step by step isn’t easy, mainly because we didn’t simply flatten, work the sides, then finish. The very nature of Blacksmithing requires you to go back over areas you’ve already worked as each step forwards usually has an impact on the last step performed.
So, after working the sides, and a little more fettling etc, it was time to create the ‘bill’ – the curvature at the front. Steve asked me what type of Adze I would like – a flat or curved edge. I went with a curved edge to make it easier to carve bowls and the like!

050512-025.jpg050512-028.jpg050512-029.jpg

[h=3]Finishing[/h] Now that the initial shape was there, all that was left to do, was grind the sides, and put the cutting edge on! This was achieved by using a belt sander, working up the grits from very course to extremely fine (somewhere in the region of 80-400, although I can’t remember the exact ones).
Again, as I knew nothing about Adzes, I left the grinding to Steve.
Here’s an image of the completed Adze straight after forging (well, after it had cooled for a while…)

050512-030.jpg

And here's some from the grinding process…

050512-031.jpg050512-034.jpg

[h=3]The Finished Piece[/h] After around 3 hours of work, the Adze is now complete, and ready to have a handle fitted. I must say at this point, that I’m like a kid with a new toy! I absolutely love my new tool, and will hopefully get many many years of service out of it. There is something very satisfying about taking an existing item that is no longer required/fit for purpose etc and converting it into a useable item.

050512-035.jpg050512-036.jpg050512-037.jpg

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Nice work.
But I am a bit curious how it performs regarding holding the edge?
How did you treat the steel after forging regaring re-hardening and annealing?

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Nice work.
But I am a bit curious how it performs regarding holding the edge?
How did you treat the steel after forging regaring re-hardening and annealing?

The steel is of a known source (Cromwells Ball Pein Hammers) which are reasonably consistent in terms of what I've had from them so far. In light of this, much of my forging is quite straightforward:

After annealing from forging, grind to desired shape of the cutting edge. Then heat to cherry red, quench (in the case of an adze I find water will suffice as the blade is rather thick) and then draw a temper to between red brown and purplish blue, the latter being more suitable for a field servicable/easily sharpened but softer edge.

You can then normalise with a couple
of cycles if you so wish, but I have omitted this with Oakhill's adze as if he has any problems with it, I'll
just forge him another one.
I have a couple of these, and I even omitted tempering them, and they hold a good working edge having been annealed directly from forging. I don't know if the steel used in the hammers is therefore work or air hardening, but I'd assume it's the former; hence why it's used for a hammer in the first place.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Cheers chaps. As Oakhill will tell you; it's a great laugh to forge something like this, and to use it afterwards is a joy! I reckon he's done a great job, and the write up should help those who want to have a go at making one. I'm no expert by any means, but I enjoy it ;)

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Very nicely done.

I've been meaning to have a go at one of these for ages. Will we see it with a handle?

Andy

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Very nicely done.

I've been meaning to have a go at one of these for ages. Will we see it with a handle?

Andy

Cheers mate. That means a great deal coming from yourself :)

I did rattle off a quick handle, but it was only a cut-down hammer handle. A proper carved one from ash or hawthorn would look the part.

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
always impressed to see a craftsman demonstrate his skill. Great work there. My only experience of forgework was making a poker during my 3rd year in secondary school back in 1968 unless you count heating the odd bar up to bend it

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
An excellent read chaps and it looks the business too.
Inspiring stuff. Definitely going to have to do this one day soon.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Cheers mate. That means a great deal coming from yourself :)

I did rattle off a quick handle, but it was only a cut-down hammer handle. A proper carved one from ash or hawthorn would look the part.

Come on you big tease! :p

Hammer handle or no - we're all dying to see it!

Andy

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
That's awesome! I've attempted a couple of adzes, but to be honest I'm still without one... Ammmm, frustration pass I'll try once more :) You've done a great job!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE