Making a wood burning stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
I'm wanting to make a wood burning stove similar to the one in the picture below although cutting an old pressured cylinder is dangerous. Has anyone on here made one before? or has anyone got any idea of what to use for the cylinder?

images

Thanks for any help,
Ste

Pholland

Apr 26, 2012
Bognor Regis
Hi, yes I have made one. Not quite to the lovely finish as the one in your picture but it burns wood. Not finished it yet though.
I used an old calor gas can 13kg. Drilled a couple of holes in it and went to work. Since I have spoken to someone who took the valve off his(left hand thread) and then cut into it which created a blow torch scenario. So my advice to you is to take the valve off, and fill it up with water, then cut into it.
I will try and load a picture of mine now and when I finish it. It's an excellent bit of kit though.
Peter

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
Hi, yes I have made one. Not quite to the lovely finish as the one in your picture but it burns wood. Not finished it yet though.
I used an old calor gas can 13kg. Drilled a couple of holes in it and went to work. Since I have spoken to someone who took the valve off his(left hand thread) and then cut into it which created a blow torch scenario. So my advice to you is to take the valve off, and fill it up with water, then cut into it.
I will try and load a picture of mine now and when I finish it. It's an excellent bit of kit though.
Peter

Thanks peter that will be much appreciated

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
This is tempting, not thought about that before and would be a great feature on scout camps.
I have a couple of very old butane bottles that need to be emptied so would a perfect donors, one as a stove the other as an alter fire or possibly an oven.
Thinking of a kit form for transport, just wish I was still working in a factory would have all the toys to play with to built this quickly.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
You could use an old brake air tank from a lorry, some of them are a good size, short and dumpy, and not too heavy.
A trip to a scrap yard will show what is available.

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
Just managed to get a calor gas can, I've just let all of the remaining gas out of it, I've left it depressed for the last couple of hours and i'm about to unscrew it. Apparently there tight to get off and some are left hand thread as jackcbr said.

Ste

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Just managed to get a calor gas can, I've just let all of the remaining gas out of it, I've left it depressed for the last couple of hours and i'm about to unscrew it. Apparently there tight to get off and some are left hand thread as jackcbr said.

Ste

stop. you haven't got all the gas out. it might have stopped coming out of the valve but it'll probably start coming out again when you get the valve off, then again when you move it, then again whilst you fill it up with water (to be safe), it's amazing how long the gas continues to come out of these things. the valves on calor gas bottles (in my experiance) tend to have a "normal", right hand thread

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
oh yeah, forgetting the power tools means there's almost zero possibility of a spark, a big bang, and bright lights at the end of the tunnel. as people will tell you, it's pretty hard work sawing through a gas bottle with a hacksaw, but it is doable, i've done one this weekend, it took me just over four hours (including tea breaks) to get the valve out, rinse the thing out, and then saw it in half with a a hacksaw. one half's to make a little forge, the other's to make charcoal to burn in the forge

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Nice, I prefer the idea of it laying down to give a larger cooking surface but may skim the surface a bit so the hotplate is not as proud in the first image of this topic.
Nice hinges and latch on your stove JohnC does the handle get hot or did you add a wooden handle for insulation?

Last edited:

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
Managed to get the valve off quite easily, it was a good job i had a good look at the thread as it was right handed like Stu said. I've filled it with water and wont be touching it until the weekend as i want to leave it a couple of days and i'm working wed-fri. I'm lead to believe that its safe to use power tools providing you purge it for a couple of days.

Ste

Hushwing

Feb 19, 2012
Stirling
Really interested to see how this develops - thanks. Once found 3 dumped caravan gas bottles (the really tall orange ones) and vented them but where i was storing them dumped them thinking they had been abandoned!!! had, had the idea of making architectural chimanea for the garden - a bit more robust with extreme winter frosts!

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
M.....I'm lead to believe that its safe to use power tools providing you purge it for a couple of days....

it should be safe enough mate, water going in should force all the remaining gas out and saturate the inside of the bottle so that any residue left sticking to the bottle shouldn't burn. if i were you i'd light a bit of a fire in there pretty much as soon as you get into it, that's the easiest way to clean off any residual butane/propane gunk from the inside of the bottle.

photos!

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
When I cut up the bottles, I dug a hole to fit them into and blocked them with bricks to keep them from rolling, helped a lot..

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... i've done one this weekend, it took me just over four hours (including tea breaks) to get the valve out, rinse the thing out, and then saw it in half with a a hacksaw. ...

Heck, Stu, let me cut it up for you next time! That bottle we used for an oven in Ambergate took me all of fifteen minutes total with a cutting disc, including getting the valve out. Of course I did leave it to stand upside down for a few days after taking the valve out but before I cut it in two. And you can make sparks with a hacksaw, so you're not even totally safe from explosions doing it that way.

Last edited:

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Heck, Stu, let me cut it up for you next time! That bottle we used for an oven in Ambergate took me all of fifteen minutes total with a cutting disc, including getting the valve out. Of course I did leave it to stand upside down for a few days after taking the valve out but before I cut it in two. And you can make sparks with a hacksaw, so you're not even totally safe from explosions doing it that way.

i'll be perfectly honest ged, about an hour in and you very nearly got a phone call! my own fault for buying a cheap angle grinder i suppose, i think the bushes were made of cheese :)
all good fun though, and much cheaper than going to the gym

you're perfectly right of course about the possibility of throwing sparks with a hacksaw, there is a chance you could ignite something with a hacksaw spark, however, there's pretty much a certainty that you will light anything with an angle grinder. there's safe and then there's safe, ste's young enough to get away with just safe i reckon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE